New guy here

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Names Nick, I’ve been into outdoor stuff like hiking and such..moved to Chico, CA and now there’s a TON of trails to take a mountain bike, so I’ve been trying to visit them. Was using an OLD mountain bike that had ripped tires, bent crank, and th shifting linkage was messed up…needless to say I can’t trail with it due to the tires being completely ripped now and the chain kept popping off whenever I went over bumps.

Lately I’ve been lookin around online to find a hardtail that’s under $500. I was looking at the 2010 Cannondale F8 or the 2009 Cannondale F7…was having an issue though. I’m 5’7" 160lbs…usually only ride with water as my only gear, so no real weight there.

I wasn’t clear on the size bike I needed, but I was thinking I’d need a medium?

Anyways I figured the 09 F7 would be better than the 10′ F8 since they are about the same price, but the F7 has 100mm range of travel compared to the 80mm the F8 has..and I saw that the F7 looked like it had better parts on it.

http://aroadbike4u.com/product/cannonda … 9842-1.htm

^That looked like a killer deal to me, so I was going to order that, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Welcome Nick! There’s probably lots of info on the forum regarding proper bike fit, but I think it comes down to actually sitting on and riding the bike to see how it feels because one manufacturer’s medium might be another manufacturer’s large. I am about 6′ and 165 and ride a medium frame, but on other bikes I might be a large. Also, the mfg websites often give guidance on weight/height combinations for their frame sizes. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide.

Welcome to the club. The Cannondale F7 is a nice bike with a fantastic frame. No doubt you will want to upgrade some parts at some point in the future, and the F7 is set up well for that.

Bike fit is a complicated issue. I’m 6′ 2" and have ridden M, L and XL frames. There are differences in cockpit and crank locations, but with aftermarket parts you can make just about anything fit. That said, there are many good online tools for determining the "best size for you." I’d start there, and don’t sweat it if it isn’t perfect out of the box. Tuning your ride can be a rewarding way to get in touch with your bike.

Post some pics of your bike when you get one. We always like to see shiny stuff!

Hi Nick. I was in the market for an entry level mountain bike around the $500-$600 range (just bought it a week ago, Aug 20th). I looked online to view the bikes, compare components, price, etc. Most were very similar between the bikes. I looked at the Specialized Hardrock, Cannondale F8, Trek 4300 and GT Avalanche 3.0. After hours of comparing online (some bikes had better components in one area, while others had better components in another), it came down to actually going to the bike shop, and riding the bike. I thought Specialized gave the best bang for the buck, but I bought the GT Avalanche 3.0, since it was the most comfortable and best fit for me (also had comparable components). I would recommend reviewing bikes in your price range online for components, etc., but you have to actually ride the bike before making a final decision. Riding the bikes will make your decision easier.

Welcome aboard. Bike sizing is not really an exact science. I would recommend trying out as many models in your price range as possible, which means visiting your local bike shops. Go with the one that feels the best to you. The LBS guys are pretty good at "sizing" you up too. Most charts say I should be on a medium frame at 5’10" and 175 lbs, but anything less than large feels too small for me. Of course, having arms that stretch down to my knees doesn’t help. 😆 😆 If a bike fits you good you be more comfortable and will ride it more.

Hey man, I’m almost exactly your size and I’d guess a medium would probably be good on you. If the F7 has nicer components for the same price and more suspension I’d definitely go for that one! 😀

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.