New trails renew excitement for MTBing in Moab

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      For many years, there were few new options for mountain bikers. The stagnation was even more evident because of the flurry of new trails being built in places like Fruita, Colo., Arizona and New Mexico. Those places were luring bikers away, leaving Moab to the Jeep enthusiasts and foreign tourists. That wasn’t good for Moab’s reputation or for local businesses.

As word spreads about the new trails, those who make their living catering to the spandex-wearing enthusiasts are experiencing an increase in business.

"A lot have been coming back to Moab," she said. "We had nothing new to offer, so a lot of riders would come here and then maybe go to Fruita and ride so their lengths of stay here were shortened, but now people are re-energized about Moab."
      While the trails present different kinds of challenges, they have one thing in common — they were built with bikers in mind.

Unlike the older trails that were laid out by offroad vehicles — resulting in double track trails —many of the new paths are singletrack.

"It’s what is so popular everywhere else nationally," Groff said.

The trails accommodate bikers with inviting flowing lines through the desert terrain, technical tests over slickrock and just enough climbing to get the heart rate up before rewarding riders with fast descents.

Read more here: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/ … s.html.csp

Another post on the same topic (40 miles of new trail built in Moab in 2011 alone): viewtopic.php?f=81&t=7227

To be honest, this is just what Moab needs, and IMO holding Outerbike there will also help.

One of the great things about Moab though is that there are other things to do: mountain biking, jeeping, river rafting, the national parks, hiking, even shopping and some good eats.

On the other hand though, I will admit that I’ve gotten bored with Slickrock trail. 😏

I have ridden a few of the newer additions and they definitely make Moab worth another run if you haven’t been in a while. What’s really great is that theres a myriad of new options that will appeal to all levels of riders. If you’re not ready for Amasa Back or Porcupine Rim, there’s now plenty of opportunity for you to still have a great Moab experience. There’s even trails that riders of mixed ability and levels of adventurousness/risk tolerance can ride together and everybody sill have a great time.

If, heaven forbid, you don’t feel like riding one day, Madd’s right on–there’s plenty else to do, although I yave yet to find the "good eats."

The Brand Trails are pretty fun and the times I’ve ridden them they haven’t been crowded at all. For a short ride I like the Intrepid trail up at Dead Horse Point. As far as "good eats" Milt’s is the only thing that comes to mind!

Moab Brewing Company (get the beer sampler)
      ZAX Pizza (order a whole pie, don’t do the buffet)
      Miguel’s Baja Grill
      Pasta Jay’s

and there’s a gourmet-ish place up by the Rock Shop but I don’t remember the name…
      [edit]Eklecticafe[/edit]

Great to read. I want to plan a Moab trip to do it all. Bike, wheel, raft, camp etc etc.

"Funrover" wrote

Great to read. I want to plan a Moab trip to do it all. Bike, wheel, raft, camp etc etc.

Hope you get lots of vacation time!

"skibum" wrote

[quote="Funrover":2jeoawbg]Great to read. I want to plan a Moab trip to do it all. Bike, wheel, raft, camp etc etc.

Hope you get lots of vacation time![/quote:2jeoawbg]

I hope so also! LOL 😆

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.