New to the sport

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone! I am new to mountain biking. I have a Diamondback Topanga hardtail that was upgraded with Shimano components. I started riding 2 years ago, but took a year off due to my older bike being stolen and my riding partner moving. My friend just bought a Specalized Stumpjumper FS for around $2,000. My bike cost me around $250 used with some new tires and pedals and seat. Fitness level we are about equal. Am I going to have a hard time keeping up with him on my bike or does it not really matter much for beginners?

Hey man, welcome aboard. You picked a pretty nice bike for a first time around. As for comparing the two of you, you may find it difficult to keep up, but it’s hard to judge. But you say your fitness levels are about equal, so I think for the most part you shouldn’t have too much of a problem. I suppose it also depends on what type of trail riding you are doing, you have to narrow it down for yourself and take in everything that might affect your differences.

Welcome aboard!

Actually, the hardtail should outclimb the FS.

Hey man, Welcome to Singletracks and back to MTB’ing. As said earlier all thing considered the hardtail is typically more efficient at climbing but alot of any of it has to do with rider skill/ability. A better rider can overcome most if not all equipment deficiencies. Of course if you are out riding together and not racing each other then it shouldn’t matter either way

"Devin_P" wrote

Of course if you are out riding together and not racing each other then it shouldn’t matter either way

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2009/05/28/mano-a-mano/

Hey slackker, That link was funny. I guess iI never really looked at that way. I’ve laways been in the situation that the guy described where they were each better than the other in particular areas.
      I guess I was just thinking that I have watched people walk in to the LBS and spend literally THOUSANDS of dollars on bikes and parts and whatever because they think it will make them faster, only to be beaten by better riders using more affordable equipment. Or by Mongoose on his FR/DH rig… 😮

yeah, that is soooo true, maybe more-so for roadies though. I mean with us mountain bikers, we NEED every gadget we buy… 😉

I have definitely seen some ghetto bikes do some amazing things on the trail, my own $150.00 Specialized Rockhopper included.

http://products.howstuffworks.com/full- … -guide.htm

Specifically:

Aside from price, there are other compromises to be aware of when selecting a full suspension over a hardtail. Full-suspension bikes, except for the extremely expensive ones, are heavier than their hardtail counterparts. The additional rear suspension will add at least a couple of pounds to the overall weight of a bike. For casual mountain biking that isn’t such a big deal. If you race and/or ride a lot of uphill courses, though, those extra couple of pounds could make all the difference. The energy lost in the rear suspension also means that a full suspension bike is slower at climbing than a hardtail.

(Emphasis added by me)

NOW it makes more sense!

😆

I can substantiate this, as I have just moved from my old hardtail to a FS Giant Trance…the Giant climbs like a mountain goat, I’m still a fat slob, but the bike is truly amazing on steep, loose stuff.

What, we’re supposed to THINK before we type?

oops…

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.