New to these boards.. as of 2 weeks ago

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hey,

I figured I’d introduce myself since I seem to be using these boards so much.. I ask alot of beginner obvious questions for the most part. Entirely because I am one. I haven’t rode a bike in 8 years .. .. since I got my drivers license,.. but have stayed in shape with lifting weights and running ….

I have an entry level 2009 Trek 3700.. Nothing special, but its getting me started and used to riding again…

Nothing wrong with asking questions. Shoot I have been riding since ’91 and am always learning even from beginner questions.

Second I have had 2 bikes the whole time, both would be considered entry level bikes "91 Trek 830 (yes rigid) and a ’08 Giant Yukon. Why not something better, simple that is what I could afford. I slowly up grade thing when things break or get worn out.

"Trek2009" wrote

I have an entry level 2009 Trek 3700.. Nothing special, but its getting me started and used to riding again…

Nothing to be ashamed of! I’ve been riding an `06 Trek 4300 DSC (hard tail) for almost 3 years and still enjoy it. When you start off with smoething like that, you learn to use skills better rather than rely on the technology. When the time comes (if you choose) to go to a FS ("full suspension") bike or something better, you’ll be that much more appreciative of it!

This site has tons of great info, especially on the forums! Check out some of the threads that address all kinds of questions, and the sticky threads on MTB terms and abbreviations is CLUTCH!!!

"Fitch" wrote

[quote="Trek2009":2f2y4c3z]I have an entry level 2009 Trek 3700.. Nothing special, but its getting me started and used to riding again…

Nothing to be ashamed of! I’ve been riding an `06 Trek 4300 DSC (hard tail) for almost 3 years and still enjoy it. When you start off with smoething like that, you learn to use skills better rather than rely on the technology.[/quote:2f2y4c3z]

I also have been riding on a 4300 with BB7’s. There’s no rush to upgrade, or there shouldn’t be at least.

Definitely, HT are the best way to learn MTB in my opinion, you get a better feel of the Earth. What I mean by that is, your body learns that if you are going over roots/rocks, it will want to get out of the saddle or certain places will start hurting (mostly for the guys riding). So I think that riding a HT molds your body and stance.

Also if you are going to be learning skills, and tricks and stuff, would you rather scratch up a $400 bike, or a $1,500+ bike? So don’t think it’s newb to ride what you can afford too.

"Trek2009" wrote

Hey,

I figured I’d introduce myself since I seem to be using these boards so much.. I ask alot of beginner obvious questions for the most part. Entirely because I am one. I haven’t rode a bike in 8 years .. .. since I got my drivers license,.. but have stayed in shape with lifting weights and running ….

Welcome to the forum Trek2009. Hope you enjoy riding again. I think when you are just getting started the bike skills you develop are more important than the bike. If you are like most of us here, over time you will want to upgrade. 😀

Welcome aboard Trek2009. Take it from me, the folks on this site are patient and helpful. Ask away. There is also a wealth of information in old posts, product reviews, and trail reviews. Take the time to explore.

As for bikes, I’ve been riding a late 90s Specialized HardRock (rigid) up until about a month ago. I always had a blast on it, but I was finally ready (and could afford) an upgrade, so I went for it. Nothing too over the top, but I am now enjoying the benefits of hydraulic disc brakes, front suspension, etc. And I can really appreciate it after all those years on the other bike.

Welcome to the gang Trek2009!!! Glad to have you dude!!!! I think the only thing that may be better than this forum on singletracks.com is a chat room with all of us!! LOLOLOL I was telling some of the guys on here, i got back into riding myself…mountain biking was ALWAYS a hobby of mine, just never really got hungry enough to explore it the way i have now…i think i have that "mountain biking fever" that i’ve always longed for!!! And now, i got a kick ass bike with a 2008 Cannondale F7. It also is a hard tail, i actually prefer hardtails to full suspension because you can feel the earth beneath you and know where ur bike’s at!!! Can’t wait to go riding tomorrow!!! Welcome aboard dude!!!!

As everyone has already said… welcome. I am new to this site and the most obvious thing is there are many people who either have been riding for a long time to share wisdom as well as a good amount of people who used to ride and are now getting back into it. I am in the second group myself.

I am riding a late 98 KHS Comp hard tail with front suspension and although it is old it is working great. Best thing I could have done is purchased a mechanic’s stand and how too book so I can do most of my own wrenching. This website also helps if you run into a situation where you don’t quite know how to fix it, there are lots of people who do and will help you out as long as you ask the questions.

Welcome again to the site. If your anything like me this site keeps me motivated to get out and ride.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.