new to the sport

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Howdy Names Jay wanted to say hello to all…Really getting into the sport but out of shape.Slowly but surely things will pick up..I was given a voodoo Wanga all tricked out…Only thing I am missing is full suspension..Anyone got any words of advice for me….Is a full suspension better? Or is this a good started bike for me..WHat are the pros and cons to hartail vs full suspension? 😛

thanks for the help

Jay
      SOCAL

Hey man welcome to the sport,

Hardtail vs FS

Hardtail tend to be a lot less when it comes to money, I think they average about $600-$800.

While FS could be like $1,500.

So cost is definitely something that is factored in, so a full suspension bike is really for those people who are into the sport, and know they will be for a long time, or just somebody with tons of spending money.

Another big difference would be comfort in my opinion, seeing as the hardtail doesn’t have suspension in the back (which is kinda what the name implies), when you go over anything that makes the bike bump, jump, or dump you will take more of the impact rather than it being absorbed.

Hey Jay! HT bikes rock 😎 Def a great way to get started and hone in on your bike handling skills. You can feel more what the bike is saying to you and how it wants to react and how you are going to react.

I disagree that a FS can climb better then a HT. My main argument is that FS are heavier and the general rule of thumb is that the lighter the bike, the better its going to climb. Also, in FS bike you get a slight pedal bob that will waste some of your energy, but FS have been improving in that area greatly.

I’ve been riding HTs for 15 years up here in east coast, known well for its rough terrain of babyheads and wet roots, and love it. I guess as the years are passing by my back is staring to hurt more and more, but no pain no gain 😉

thanks for all the help..I am slowly breaking this thing into a comfort level….went over the bars this morning on some wicked terrain….got that out of the way..now it endurance I need to work on…..

I go to my local gym and take a "Spinning" class once or twice a week. It really helped my endurance, climbing and speed. If you buy pedals the spd’s are used on the spin bikes.

"jerrad" wrote

went over the bars this morning on some wicked terrain….got that out of the way..

Congrats man! The thing about going over the bars is you realize it ain’t that bad. You’ve got plenty of air miles to earn still. ;)

Ray the key to success is to go out and buy a really expensive bike like the Ibis Mojo (spend at least $5k). That way when you see it in your garage you’ll feel guilty not riding it and it’ll force you to ride more.

😆

"Beaker" wrote

Ray the key to success is to go out and buy a really expensive bike like the Ibis Mojo (spend at least $5k). That way when you see it in your garage you’ll feel guilty not riding it and it’ll force you to ride more.

😆

Sounds like those words of wisdom comes from experience! And, aint that the truth… I am the kind of person if I stop doing something for a little while I have a hard time getting back into a regular schedule again. I just think of the price tag on my Gary Fisher and have no problems getting motivated any more ;)

"jerrad" wrote

Howdy Names Jay wanted to say hello to all…Really getting into the sport but out of shape.Slowly but surely things will pick up..I was given a voodoo Wanga all tricked out…Only thing I am missing is full suspension..Anyone got any words of advice for me….Is a full suspension better? Or is this a good started bike for me..WHat are the pros and cons to hartail vs full suspension? 😛

thanks for the help

Jay
      SOCAL

ride what you got till you know what you want to buy. plus, starting on a hardtail (or especially a fully rigid) will probably end up making you a way better rider in the long run.

but eventually you’ll probably want some more suspension…

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.