new to the sport 2 new bikes any suggestions

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Just decided that i would give mountain biking a try to fulfill the lack of skiing in Canton,Ga. I have been looking at geting into the sport for a while and finally convinced the wife. Bought 2 Gary Fishers mine is a mamba 29er, and hers is a marlin.

So far I’ve done about 50 miles of riding and i definatly want pedals and shoes, also looking for recomendations on roof racks for the bikes.

We bought the bikes on Sept 16 i remember this date because following it started the flooding and the trail next to my house is still under water (blankets creek).

Any thoughts on the bikes and especially pedal and shoe recomendations would be appreciated.

A good solid intro pedal would be the Shimano M520. It adjusts nicely so you can tweak it in to your comfort level.
      I’m riding those and wearing the Pearl Izumi Quest shoes. Nice air flow through them and good support.

If you don’t want to fully commit to clipless off the bat, try the Shimano M324:

As you can see it has cleats on one side, platform on the other.

I ran them for about 3 years and finally went to all cliples (Crank Bos Eggbeaters, by the way)

As for bike racks…
      I have a Thule roof mount system with Big Mouth trays. These are the best as you don’t need to remove the front tire. Just throw the bikes on there, close the clamp, buckle the wheel straps and go.

For a hitch mount system, My friend has the Xport hitch mount system. It is modular and with a 2" receiver hitch it can be used as a 2 or 4 bike system. With a 1 1/2" receiver, it is 2 bike only.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.