new to singletrack…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone, im new to the sport, and not really sure if the locals treat you the way a surfer would paddleing out for the first time? I currently am riding a hybrid style bike set up for more trail riding than street. will i get burned on the local single track for not havin a mtb?

Some folks will look at you funny others won’t. I am fine chatting or riding with folks on $5000 bikes or wal-mart specials. I ride to have fun and if you are there for the same I’ll help you out as much as possible.

Greetings fellow singletracker. Welcome to the coolest MTB forum on the planet!!!!!!! As everyone has already stated, you may get a laugh or two, but the name of the game is just having fun. I say ride your hybrid proud. I have my own hybrid Mongoose Blackcomb MTB which I turned into a road bike. I get some weird looks from the roadies as we pass on the streets but I guarantee my bikes more comfortable 😃 . Anyhow, once again welcome aboard ride hard and have fun!!! 😛

Ditto to the "fun" comments. But, I will add that I think the more you ride off road singletrack, the more you will want to get a full-on mountain bike. It really makes a difference. I road and trained on a hybrid for a while around St. Louis before moving to the Denver area. Now, I ride a full-on mountain bike in the mountains, train on a sweet single-speed on the road, and commute/tour with a full touring bike. Three bikes seems like a lot to someone like me, but I’ve found that the "fun factor" goes up quite a bit when you ride a specialized bike that you’ve picked out with care.
      welcome.

Hey dude,welcome hybridrider.Cool to have ya on board here at singletracks.com.

will i get burned on the local single track for not havin a mtb?

One thing is for sure,wether or not you get burned depends on how much fun your having.If your having fun,there’s no way your gonna get burned.Ride on dude.

Most mt. bikers are friendly but there’s always occasional bike snobs. All that matters is if you are having fun and the bike can handle the terrain. Everyone needs to start somewhere and I think it’s crazy to go out and blow a lot of dough on a sweet ride if you’re new to the sport and may not be into it very seriously. If you catch the bug, then by all means upgrade…but only if you feel you need to. If you ride buttery smooth trails, I wouldn’t worry about upgrading.

"hybridrider" wrote

Hey everyone, im new to the sport, and not really sure if the locals treat you the way a surfer would paddleing out for the first time? I currently am riding a hybrid style bike set up for more trail riding than street. will i get burned on the local single track for not havin a mtb?

Yea – just have fun.

Last year I was riding one of my post-work singletrack rides which has about a mile and half fairly tough climb. Thinking I was getting good at climbing – and woh, this Dude blew by me on a hybrid – put me back in my place. 😆

welcome man singletracks is awersome any questions you have let it be known the guys are great with helping… and the hybrid comment… my good riding buddy rides hybrid and he shows me up everyday you gotta build the bike that fits you and your style… 😆

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.