New to MTN Biking, having trouble getting started

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I want to get into mountain biking so I recently bought a 17.5 inch specialized hard rock mountain bike.

I am having troubles though getting used to riding the bike. I have read that when you are biking, in your "neutral position" your weight should always be on your pedals and that your hands should be light. If your are going uphill, you shift your body forward, but your weight is still centered on the pedals.

However when I am sitting on the bike while riding on flat ground I am unable to position myself to keep my hands light, I always have weight on my hands and feel like I have to lean forward to maintain grip on my handle bars. I am around 5 9, could my frame to big for me? Or am I doing something wrong?

The people at the sales shop said the bike frame was the right size for me so I do not know if its me or if its the bike. When I rode the bike around the parking lot the bike felt fine, but after riding it for two hours on the road my arms and wrists were sore. I have not had the chance to ride the bike on the trails yet.

Any input appreciated.

Bike Specs

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC … e=Mountain

It could be your stem length. A shorter stem should bring your body more upright, shifting weight off your arms. Is your seat pushed way forward or back? To start off with, it should be centered so that there is an equal amount of seat rail showing ahead of and behind the seat post clamp.

The shop you bought the bike from should be happy to help you with this. A good shop will also swap your stem out for a shorter one of similar value, for no charge.

how long has it been since you have been on a bike? it could just be from not being on a bike for awhile. 2 1\2 hrs. is a long time if you have’nt been riding for some time. give it some time to see if the soreness goes away. just be faithfull about riding the bike and it probably go away. we are not 20 anymore 😆

"bikenut1" wrote

how long has it been since you have been on a bike? it could just be from not being on a bike for awhile. 2 1\2 hrs. is a long time if you have’nt been riding for some time. give it some time to see if the soreness goes away. just be faithfull about riding the bike and it probably go away. we are not 20 anymore 😆

This is also a good point. I thought of it, but it sounded like sore arms and wrists was not your only problem.

At 5 ‘9" a 17.5 might even be too small, depending on your inseam/torso ratio.

I would go with what the LBS said, and as mentioned, keep riding and build up your strength and endurance.

I agree about the stem length. You also may need a rise in your stem as well. I have a riser stem and it did help when I was feeling like I was too low.

Thanks for all the replies, I will give it a few weeks and if nothing is changing I will see if I can get a professional fitting.

I had my bike custom built by a friend who was a pro trials and DH rider, it made a huge difference having all of the components specifically for my size and weight. That dosnt mean you have to break the bank, but even something as slight as rolling the handlebars forward or backward a bit helped, I had shorter cranks, riser stem, set back seat post, I dont know what bike shop would take that kind of time, If they would then keep them! After each adjustment I would ride and see how I liked it.

My point is that there are so many things in getting the bike to fit you like a glove. Do some research and read some magazines, that helped me as well learn about fitting.

I totally agree. Getting a bike that fits makes a huge difference in comfort and rideability.

It took me 3 months of trial and error to get my new Tomac just right.Heck just 1/4" forward/back on the seat rails changes things.I also went to a shorter stem,now I just check the tires and go ride.It may take ridin to get it tune to you. 😃

had my safire custom fitted so fit is not an issue. have platform pedals – with my Parkinson’s I can no longer clip in – ok the problem was clipping out
      My problem is trying to get started on an incline – right now I have to push with my right foot to get the bike moving then I have to try and quickly lift up my left hip (affected side) and push down on the pedal with my left foot. Sometimes I’m just scared and stop but if anyone has any tips I’ll certainly try them. I do practice on fire roads.
      Thanks

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.