New to MTB’ing and wondering if I got a decent bike

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum New to MTB’ing and wondering if I got a decent bike

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

First off, thanks to the people that keep this site going!

I’m on a lot of car websites and have been impressed with the amount of information that is on this site. I’ve been combing this site for the past few days trying to learn as much as possible and I have learned a lot while on here.

I road BMX bikes a LOT as a kid. I have a friend that is into mountain biking and I have been looking for an excuse to exercise and I used to really love riding bikes so I thought it might be a lot of fun to try to mountain bike.

I ordered a 2011 Trek Fuel EX 5 a few days ago. It’s supposed to be in today. I’m excited about getting a full suspension bike but I’m worried about getting the lowest level version. Should I be worried or did I make a decent choice? I think I’ll catch on to mountain biking pretty quick given my BMX experience but I couldn’t mentally justify spending much more than what I spent as a "starter" bike.

Any advice or input is welcomed.

Personally, I’m a big fan of buying the bottom model of a frame series. You usually get the same frame and geometry as the model that cost $2000 more, but you can spec out the components you want to add/customize over time to make it work for you.

Things like tires, wheelsets, pedals, saddles, and forks are easy to upgrade when you have the time/money or when they wear out.

I think you’ll like the Fuel, I’m not a big Trek fan, but those are nice riding bikes. Enjoy it and thanks for joining up!

The fuel is a quality bike, and like 8valvegrowl said, the frame is basically going to be the same through the whole series (unless the upper one is carbon and the lower models are aluminum, for instance).

The main difference is going to be the quality and weight of the components.

Basically, I think you probably made a good buy dude, and you can always upgrade later when you break stuff.

Now get out and tear up some singletrack!! 😼

Should be fine for most rides. What type of riding, and where?

Excellent choice my friend. I ride a $360 trek 3500 now and your bike is like a "BMW" compared to "Prius." Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Don’t worry.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.