New to MTB. First bike

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all.

I am 47 but new to mtb as a friend just got me hooked. I am going to buy my first bike end of August. My lbs is a Trek dealer. They are a great shop and very community oriented so I am not going to buy online, plus my mechanical skills are minimal. My question is which bike would you all recommend? My budget says either Marlin 6 or X Cal 5. Thanks for your time.

The bikes are very close to the same. The forks are different, but are both entry level, I doubt that would make much of a difference. The one item that stands out to me is the hydraulic brakes on the Marlin. They will work better than the mechanical brakes on the X-caliber. My son has those Tektro brakes. They work well for entry level brakes. Try them both and see what fits better for you. That will be the ultimate reason to choose one or the other. IMO I would buy the Marlin, because of the brakes, if all else seems equal.

The X-Cal is a better frame made with higher grade aluminum than the Marlin. A few of the components are marginally better also but not by any major difference. If you could come up with the funds for the X-Cal 6 you’d get Shimano hydraulic disc brakes but you maybe could find some for sale for less than difference and put them on the X-Cal 5 (or the Marlin).

"Devin_P" wrote

If you could come up with the funds for the X-Cal 6 you’d get Shimano hydraulic disc brakes but you maybe could find some for sale for less than difference and put them on the X-Cal 5 (or the Marlin).

Good idea. You can frequently fine Shimano XT brakes on sale at Price Point for under $100/wheel. I would imagine going with SLX would be a bit cheaper.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.