New to Mt Biking…Question about Helmets???

Mountain bike trails & Mountain bike reviews Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum New to Mt Biking…Question about Helmets???

Tagged: 

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Hey, I’m new to the sport. I’m looking to get more into it though. I have done some off road biking in the past but not much. Anyway I want to do more but I currently don’t own a bike helmet (and i am not doing any Mt biking without one) I had one but it broke so I need a new one… So my question is if I should get a full face helmet or an open face. I am new to the sport so I probably don’t need a full face. However, the areas that I plan on riding are somewhat challenging. There area lot of inclines and tight turns rocks ect. Also I do like to ride somewhat fast if it’s on a paved road or off road. I have also crashed a few times were I bashed my face up riding off road so I would like as much as possible to avoid doing that again…anyway let me know what you think

Thanks

im not going to be doing anything extreme but im going full face, i dont care if people look at me like im an idiot but they look cooler and really arent that heavy plus the extra protection is nice

Well everyone has opinions on what helmets to wear..I just have to ask one question…How long are your usual rides and how hot.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah I am thinking about just getting a Full Face. I will only be using it for off road biking so I might as well have the extra protection. There were a few helmets I was looking at…but I was curious if maybe you could suggest some others? I don’t want anything wicked expensive just something that will keep my head intact and looks cool =D

Once you decide on the type of helmet to buy the choices of helmet vary greatly with regards to cost. Generally you will want to try on several brands cause the fit will vary from brand to brand,

Then start thinking about comfort and breathability etc…. Remeber that ALL Helmets MUST comply with Federal Safety levels. So weather you are buying a $10 walmart special of a $500 Full Face DH Crash helmet the safety standards still apply. Although I think they are diff by type as in FF vs, Skid vs Regular Bike Helmet.

Have fun, Welcome to the sport! Be safe

i don’t know about all of this "whatever you want to do" type stuff. in my honest opinion, if you are straight up cross country riding, you NEED a regular bike helmet, preferrably a nice one with lots of vents. i used to wear a skid lid when i started riding, and even that was WAY too hot during wisconsin summers… and i can only imagine what a full face would be like. (also, you would look stupid riding on flat, smooth trail with a full face and goggles. that’s just the way it is.)

i am, however, currently in the market for a good deal on a full face helmet, because i am intending on doing a lot more aggressive downhill type riding. i could see a case being made for a full face on an all mountain type ride, especially if you’re riding a bike built for speed on the way down.

there are some helmets out there that are sort of a cross between the two. they are not full-on full face helmets… they’re more like a regular helmet with a sort of solid chin protecter bar that comes around the front. much like a compromise between the two. if you were riding cross country with one of those, i wouldn’t laugh at you.

Thanks Goo!! Could you maybe tell me what some of those helmets are I would be very interested to know. Also like I said the areas where I have rode and will mostly be riding have many steep parts and lots and lots of big rocks and boulders (however most of it is fairly flat). I ride somewhat fast but I am not doing that downhill stuff or whatever it is…I am not biking of any cliffs either…yet 😃

Well not all helmets meet the same standards. Some meet or exceed CPSC (US safety standard) and CE standards while other will meet a ASTMF standard (world wide), then there is the higher DOT and Snell approvals (motor bike).

For example I have both FF and and AM helmet, it really depends what I am doing that day. IF I plan on jumping or doing things where I know I am at risk of falling I wear my FF.. On an AM or trail ride I more than likely will stick to my open face.

"Goo" wrote

i don’t know about all of this "whatever you want to do" type stuff. in my honest opinion, if you are straight up cross country riding, you NEED a regular bike helmet, preferrably a nice one with lots of vents. i used to wear a skid lid when i started riding, and even that was WAY too hot during wisconsin summers… and i can only imagine what a full face would be like. (also, you would look stupid riding on flat, smooth trail with a full face and goggles. that’s just the way it is.)

i am, however, currently in the market for a good deal on a full face helmet, because i am intending on doing a lot more aggressive downhill type riding. i could see a case being made for a full face on an all mountain type ride, especially if you’re riding a bike built for speed on the way down.

there are some helmets out there that are sort of a cross between the two. they are not full-on full face helmets… they’re more like a regular helmet with a sort of solid chin protecter bar that comes around the front. much like a compromise between the two. if you were riding cross country with one of those, i wouldn’t laugh at you.

So you are going to laugh at me riding my 15lb road bike down the highway with a full face helmet, knee and shin protectors and goggles??? Whats that matter with you man!!! 😆 😆 😆

"skier232" wrote

Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah I am thinking about just getting a Full Face. I will only be using it for off road biking so I might as well have the extra protection. There were a few helmets I was looking at…but I was curious if maybe you could suggest some others? I don’t want anything wicked expensive just something that will keep my head intact and looks cool =D

hey skier dude, i wear a full face only when i am doing downhill or freeride type riding. Believe me you do not want o be caught in the heat pedalling up a hill wearing one of those (plus you will catch alot of weird of looks and maybe some flack from a mouth when coming across someone wearing it on XC trails). Its torture and quickens dehydration if you are not careful. I also wear a "dirt lid" (name of model from 661) its the tyoe that chilipepper referred to as a skid lid, it does well and is comfortable yet snug. And the dirt lid only costs me 15 bucks online from jensonusa.

oh yeah hey have ya’ll gotten your ski season underway there in MA? I’m heading out CO in january for steamboat for a week.

Well try out Giro,Bell, SixSixOne, THE, Lazer, the list goes on…Just find the one that does not apply hot spots or pressure points on your head. Find the helmet that feels best.

Simply speaking if it fits proper, it will be the safer choice. For one thing you will want to wear it rather than dread the fact that you have to put the "torture" device on.

Thanks Guys!!!

spazjensen unfortunately no…I was hoping to go skiing with my bud in NH this weekend but I don think it’s gonna work out. I could always drive 3 hours and ski on Sunday Rivers 4 trails they have open xD

Also just wanted to let people know that I could really care less what other people think of my helmet. I think the FF helmets look way cooler and I have taken some bad spills riding my bike on dirt roads and off road so I think the more protection the better for me…

"eric-29er" wrote

[quote="Goo":3a5bu90y]i don’t know about all of this "whatever you want to do" type stuff. in my honest opinion, if you are straight up cross country riding, you NEED a regular bike helmet, preferrably a nice one with lots of vents. i used to wear a skid lid when i started riding, and even that was WAY too hot during wisconsin summers… and i can only imagine what a full face would be like. (also, you would look stupid riding on flat, smooth trail with a full face and goggles. that’s just the way it is.)

So you are going to laugh at me riding my 15lb road bike down the highway with a full face helmet, knee and shin protectors and goggles??? Whats that matter with you man!!! 😆 😆 😆[/quote:3a5bu90y]

haha, yes that’s exactly what i’m saying 😼 😼

[quote="spazjensen] Believe me you do not want o be caught in the heat pedalling up a hill wearing one of those (plus you will catch alot of weird of looks and maybe some flack from a mouth when coming across someone wearing it on XC trails). Its torture and quickens dehydration if you are not careful. [/quote]

yes, it can get HOT on a bike

i was just saying what i said mainly for the heat reason reason, but then again the heat down here is like double what it is there come summer time

Well do you guys have any helmets you might recommend??? feel free to recommend open face helmets as well as FF…i would like to see what’s out there….

Oh yeah i am totally going to go riding down the free way with a Full face Motor cross style helmet..with knee and elbow pads too…the whole bit =P lol but yeah I only plan on using it for off road lol

Well currently I use THE ONE from THE for my FF or GIRO Remedy both are nice however I prefere the THEONE it fits better for my head. For open face I love both my FOX Flux and my Giro Xen.

JDH

Here are a couple helmets; both open faces because I just can’t imagine trying to pedal up hill with something right in front of my face…

I currently ride with this helmet in the Re-Rntry Red…. http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/AutoFor … 01255F.jpg

But I’m looking into this helmet for my more aggressive XC rides… http://www.the-industries.com/tfh-13.html

Thanks guys those all look great!

I was looking at the Bell Bellistic helmet too…its a little less exspensive. The Giro Remedy looks good too…

Also where I plan on riding there isnt to much uphill just alot of flats and steep inclines…of course you have to ride back up those inclines when your done =p

BTW The places where I plan to ride are the Harold Parker Forest and Boxford State forest

Thanks Chilipepper!! those are some insane deals!!! Oh also dont worry I am not offended by what other people are saying. Its their opinion and they have the right to speak their minds…

Thanks again!!!

Unless you plan on doing DH or Free style I believe full face is a bit over kill. Keep in mind many ski areas offer lift assisted mt biking in the summer. Rode Killington, Snow and Loon in the past and it was awesome.

I would recommend the Giro "Indicator" helmet. It is very comfortable, very lightweight, and serves its purpose. I paid $27 for it from http://www.nashbar.com

I wouldnt wear a full face unless you were doing hardcore downhill.

"skier232" wrote

BTW The places where I plan to ride are the Harold Parker Forest and Boxford State forest

Well, let me put it this way – no one is going to mock you for protection, especially in MA where NEMBA is so prevalent. Especially at HP. That being said, a full face at either of those places is totally overkill. Harold Parker is just fun single track, and frankly I’d find a full face to be a bit of a nuisance versus a standard XC bucket.

As for Boxford, last I heard that place was a washout. I used to get up there a few years ago, but I’ve heard the trails are all overgrown and it only sees the occasional hiker and equestrian traffic now. Which is a shame, but I could be wrong!

Definitely check out the NEMBA site – [url:1sai1q0v]http://www.nemba.org[/url:1sai1q0v]

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.