New to flats, I can’t jump.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Just started riding flats and I live them! I’m just not to great when it
      Comes to popping over smalls jumps and logs somtimes. Anyone have any know-how and knowledge they would like to pass on?

It is going to take some practice. Aslo you need to have some good flat pedals and some sticky shoes, MTB specific shoes like the five10’s work great! Then just practice the techniques, and learn how to bunny hop with flats!

I went out and got some 5-10 impacts and some forte pedals. It almost feels like I’m clipped in.

It will just take some practice then. You will have to learn to find the pedal quickly when a foot bounces off!

I’m not sure what your technique for jumping with clips is but if you’re like my old man he kinda hops with his arms and legs all at once. Well you cant get very high that way and it feels very awkward. What you want to do is practice good bunny hop technique which might easier with a bmx bike if you got one. What you do is you pull the front end up first to about as high as you want to go and then suck the back end up. This may seem weird on a mnt bike for 2 reasons 1 your seat is normally pretty high and 2 the front end will usually seem heavy and you can fix that by getting bars with a higher rise that will make the bike easier to pull up.

I pull up on the bars when it gets high I push down on the bars then scoup my feet on the pedals toes down and push up and back on the pedals gets the rear tire up high but takes some thought and coordination practice it for a while in a parking lot

Bunny hops, J-hops, coaster wheelies, etc all root from simple transfers in weight. Clipless pedals have the tendency to allow you to "cheat". Learning these maneuvers on flats will force you to learn the correct way.

Honestly, you just have to practice as others are saying. YouTube how to bunny hop a bike, one of the best videos I found was some young teenage boys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNvDrN-F9PQ It’s just real basic and basic instruction. Other videos, people talk to much. I hate my clips even more because It seems that jumping in flats became foreign over a short period of time. Another tip that might help is, use small bumps, lips, and climbs to your advantage to get air. This helped me get more of a feel for it naturally and I began to get much better and higher on flatter runs. Most importantly, don’t be discouraged. One day it will just click and you’ll realize, I just did that back there! 😮

Have fun and take care,
      -GT

perfect video to show the basic. Find yourself a parking lot and a few hours to kill.

As you saw in the video:
      1. learn the manual sitting low and bending the knees. Goal: hold the manual long enough to get across the width of a parking space.

2. learn to lift the rear wheel with the front wheel on the ground. This is a little harder because you need to throw your weight over the bar and thats counter intuitive for a lot of folks.

3. Now put it all together!!

Now that you know the theory, theres two ways to speed up the learning curve:
      1. Find a buddy to learn the skills with and have a bunnyhop session!
      2. Inundate yourself with bike videos. Not the new videos where guys are laying down 360 flipwhips. Find yourself some older trials videos and early 2000 street videos. The basics are easier to pick out.

I just hunted down a bunnyhop competition on vitalbmx. This is a good way to see how its done: http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features … hmitt,2252

happy bunny hopping! If anyone is in the Worcester County area of MA, I’ll gladly do a bunnyhop session and show the local trails!

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.