new to CO

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

hey everybody, I’ll be movin to denver or the springs area next week (depends on jobs) so i figured i’d introduce myself.. new to the site/boards, found it while i was lookin for some trails to hit when i first get to CO. Mostly prefer the lift accessible / shuttling DH or freeride, but I’m almost always down for a good trail ride too. Got few rides, an M3 for downhill, giant AC for trails/AM, and a beater kona stuff for DJ & street.

bout it for now guess, cya round 😀

Welcome to Singletracks! There are a few Colorado folk who lurk in this forum, so let us know if you have any questions and we will be glad to answer them.

Keystone and Winter Park are the prefered destinations for serious lift-served downhill. (Silverton is supposed to be good, but way far away.) In the Springs, Jones Park is the prefered shuttle run. Of course you can ride up too.

In any case, you won’t be disappointed with the biking opportunities.

Welcome to Singletracks! There are a few Colorado folk who lurk in this forum, so let us know if you have any questions and we will be glad to answer them.

Keystone and Winter Park are the prefered destinations for serious lift-served downhill. (Silverton is supposed to be good, but way far away.) In the Springs, Jones Park is the prefered shuttle run. Of course you can ride up too.

In any case, you won’t be disappointed with the biking opportunities.

thanks for the reply 😀 I’m starting to get settled in, doin some house hunting and stuff.. looks like I’ll have to get a rental if i want to ride a couple times before winter gets here. My AM rig isnt here yet, and i believe the M3 would be a bit of overkill, and a pain to pedal up anywhere ;)
      Are there any shops that are more DH/FR oriented? I’d like to build up a freeride rig to beat up on the stuff I heard was being built in red rock canyon. I’m not sure if thats finished yet, I just read about it on medwheel.org and if anyone on here is doing any volunteering for it, I’d like to help out also, please pm me and let me in on how to help.

if anybodys up for an aggressive AM/XC ride I’d like to do some this or next week.. I’ve been doin a lot of runnin around, but I really want to ride soon as possible, so get up with me.

Welcome!

There’s plenty of freeride goodies around Palmer Park here in the springs. Ledges, drops, roots, boulders, and big-nasty chutes abound along the Templeton & Edna Mae trails. RedRocks has the FR park being built, plus some steep, nasty, gravelly, narrow switchbacked singletrack.
      Seven Bridges up by Gold Camp Road road is steep, technical, and fun. You just gotta walk up it. I’m not a big fan of Captain Jacks. It’s been blown out by the motos, and it sucks unless you catch it after a good rain. Some of the trail is way off-camber and with deep gravel, so speed isn’t attainable until you hit the lower 1/2 of the trail. Buckhorn is better, as motos aren’t allowed, but be prepared for a lot of steep switchbacks and hikers…. often at the same time.

Keystone is nice, but it’s not for everyone. I like faster, flowier trails, and Keystone seemed to lack that. But for guys who like it rough with monster drops and DJ’ing, it’s gnar. (did I just use gnar in a sentence?!? That’s at least 30 Hail-Mary’s 😼 ).
      Vail sucks.
      Aspen sucks.
      Telluride is cool, with a FREE! lift to the top o’ the mountain from town.
      Silverton has a growing trail network, as does Ouray. Just be prepared to cross heavily trafficked Jeep trails.
      Crested Butte is cool for XC-types and general trail riders. Great scenery, but nothing special.
      There’s some serious trails around Leadville. Serious as in 10k ft. gains, plus you can get to the Continental Divide trail from there. The LBS there has detailed maps of the bike-only singletrack.
      Good luck, and with a little of my own, I might meet you for some aggro-AM. I just gotta get more pain-meds and fix my drivetrain.

Welcome!

There’s plenty of freeride goodies around Palmer Park here in the springs. Ledges, drops, roots, boulders, and big-nasty chutes abound along the Templeton & Edna Mae trails. RedRocks has the FR park being built, plus some steep, nasty, gravelly, narrow switchbacked singletrack.
      Seven Bridges up by Gold Camp Road road is steep, technical, and fun. You just gotta walk up it. I’m not a big fan of Captain Jacks. It’s been blown out by the motos, and it sucks unless you catch it after a good rain. Some of the trail is way off-camber and with deep gravel, so speed isn’t attainable until you hit the lower 1/2 of the trail. Buckhorn is better, as motos aren’t allowed, but be prepared for a lot of steep switchbacks and hikers…. often at the same time.

Keystone is nice, but it’s not for everyone. I like faster, flowier trails, and Keystone seemed to lack that. But for guys who like it rough with monster drops and DJ’ing, it’s gnar. (did I just use gnar in a sentence?!? That’s at least 30 Hail-Mary’s 😼 ).
      Vail sucks.
      Aspen sucks.
      Telluride is cool, with a FREE! lift to the top o’ the mountain from town.
      Silverton has a growing trail network, as does Ouray. Just be prepared to cross heavily trafficked Jeep trails.
      Crested Butte is cool for XC-types and general trail riders. Great scenery, but nothing special.
      There’s some serious trails around Leadville. Serious as in 10k ft. gains, plus you can get to the Continental Divide trail from there. The LBS there has detailed maps of the bike-only singletrack.
      Good luck, and with a little of my own, I might meet you for some aggro-AM. I just gotta get more pain-meds and fix my drivetrain.

sounds great 😀 Let me know if u get that drive train sorted and want to ride 😃

I just got here from living in germany for a few years.. there are a ton of trail systems there but not a lot of singletrack, at least in towns. Lots of hiking trails that arent supposed to be for biking, but some it was kosher on. Tons of trails in the french, swiss alps etc, but i didnt live there so didnt do me a lot of good ;p Did get to do morzine & les gets two times twards the end of this season and that was the best DH ive had the pleasure to ride. sure hope theres some comparable here.. i believe there should be, and im stoked to find out 😎

Hey dgrif,

Welcome to Colorado, now get your ass up here to Rifle and we will go to Fruita/Loma and ride some real singletrack! 😼

Tim

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.