New tires

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

First can I say Hi, cos im a new memeber.
      I just bought my 1st high quality mountain bike, but I mainly use it to go to and from school. (Paved all the way).
      The tires my bike came with (Maxxis Ignitors) are good all-rounders, but I want something with lower rolling resistance.
      I’ve decided to get some Maxxis Holy Rollers because I only ride on paved surfaces and hard dirt… so they seemed good.
      Im only asking as my tires are 26"x2.1" and the Holy Rollers are 26"x2.4" (or 2.2"). Does this mean I will have to chance the actual wheel, or will they fit? :?:

Your wheels will be okay. There is a small chance the rear tire might rub on the frame if it’s the 2.4" width – the 2.2’s will be fine. Just take a look at your bike, where the tire passes through the frame (chain stays and seat stays) and see how much room you have between your current tire and the frame. The new tire will be a little over 1/8th of an inch wider on each side.

What bike is it?

I’ve got a Felt Q720. Hardtail…
      Maybe not the best bike, but I like it. Shimano brakes and gears, Rock Shox Dart 2 front fork.

Thanks guys, very helpfull

Yeh that sounds about right, but will the 2.4 fit? Either the front, back or both?
      Cos i prefer the look and feel of fatter tires

"Amateur_Soldier" wrote

Yeh that sounds about right, but will the 2.4 fit? Either the front, back or both?
      Cos i prefer the look and feel of fatter tires

The 2.4 will definetly fit in the front, and 95% chance it’ll fit in the back also. Just look and see how much room you have.

BUT – If you’re only riding on the pavement, and not jumping stuff, I’d look into getting some skinny slick type tires. Pump them up to high psi (most are rated for about 60psi) and they will roll SO much faster on the pavement, it’ll blow your mind.

I had the Michelin Country Rocktires on my commuter, and they were nice. Very fast on the pavement.

This might be necroposting, but I’ve ordered the tires through my local shop. Cost me 57€, 2€ more expensive than from chainreactioncycles, but a lot less hassle. Will arrive next friday, but I don’t know if the shop will install them for free or if I’ll have to do it, cos I have no money now 😢
      But the tires should be worth it.

I got them!! They fit, but only just. *phew*
      There’s like 2mm either side. 😆 😃

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.