new rider

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

hi everyone I am looking to get into mountain biking , I and 14 years old and 6 foot tall..I do not know anything about mountain bikes and I am needing helping finding a good bike for a new rider…I’m looking to spend around 800 dollars. Thank you guys for your help 

I would go to your lbs(local bike store) and see what they have.  to start out i would go with a hard tail since it tends to teach you better habits.  my first one was a gt backwoods that i think was about 600.  For starting most brands will work fairly well for you.  your lbs will also be able to help size you to a bike which i suspect for most will be a large.  Anyways have fun and dont get discouraged by anything, especially crashes as they happen to all of us

the Bikesdirect Motobecane 529 is a fair starter bike for only $399. It is only 3×8 shifting and only a fair fork,  but that is fine starting out and both can be upgraded later. It has good HT frame and hydraulic disc brakes. My son is 6′ 1″ and we got him a large and it fits.

The Motobecane Phantom29 comp, is $799 3×10 gears and better fork.

Other than that, Giant Talon 2, $710 2×9 gears, fork probably between the two Motobecanes.

There are tons of other good bikes, most of the bigger names are a little more expensive for you get, but usually the warranty is better. If you have good local bike shops, go ride a few and see if any have last years models on sale. Often that way you can get as good or better deal than bikesdirect, plus some shops give a year free maintenance with a new bike.

I agree, definitely go with a hard tail for an $800 budget–you’ll end up with a pretty decent bike! This might be helpful if you’re looking to buy new:

Buyer’s Guide: Budget Hardtail Mountain Bikes

I’d definitely check out a Specialized Rockhopper. They are really great, quality bikes for their price. The 800-900 dollar model features hydraulic brakes and 80-100 mm travel. Moreover, it is a Specialized bicycle, and you really can’t steer wrong with them. Here is a link to the bike:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/trail/2017rockhoppercomp29/115498

As you are a beginner, I would not recommend spending lots of money on your first mountain bike.  It can be expensive; however, it does not mean that it will suit you well.  You may try something cheaper than $800. There are some good bikes that cost less, but are still good. For example, GMC Topkick is a good start for beginners. It has 21 speeds and strong frame made from aluminum. It costs around $300. You may face some difficulties though, as the height of handle bars cannot be adjusted, in such case, Northwoods Aluminum would be better. It has full suspension aluminum frame featuring 50 mm steel crown fork and 21 speeds

I recommend spending around 700 dollars there are definitely some great option out there, also check out the norco charger.. not sure if it is in your price range, trek x-caliber… and of course go to LBS and talk to them..

That is great that u are getting into mountain biking.  It is a highly addictive sport.  Fun mixed with fitness!  You don’t need to break the bank on a bike to enjoy the sport.  Get a bike and get out there.  Sure you could spend hundreds or thousands on a new bike.  Worry about getting a fancy bike after you have been riding for a while.  Ride with people with experience and learn from them.  That will help you figure out what kind of bike you need/want.  There are a lot of choices out there.  Do you want a 26″ or 29″?  Do you want a full suspension or a hard tail? How about a fat tire bike or a singlespeed (they each have their pros and cons)?  The type of trails that you ride will help you with these tough decisions.  Are you bombing down hills? Then you probably want a full suspension.  Long flat trails?  Probably gonna want a hardtail 29″.  Just remember have fun, get out there, be safe (helmet, etc…), and push yourself.  Enjoy!

I would say that $800 should be the absolute minimum you would want to spend on a (hardtail, for sure) mountain bike. If you could stretch this budget by $100-200, that would be even better. This is coming from someone who made the mistake of buying a $650 bike and then buying a new, better, more expensive bike less than a year later. First off, as you progress in your riding, your skill level will advance beyond that of a cheap bike and you could be left wanting more. Upgrading or repairing various parts- fork, shifting components, wheels/tires, gears, could potentially come to be three quarters or even all of your initial investment. After shelling out money on these hidden costs, you might have spent the same amount of money for a mediocre bike that you could have otherwise spent on a better bike from the onset. In the end you’re still left with a subpar bike. Also it is important to factor in what kind of riding you’ll do. We all know the kinds of wear and tear we inflict upon our bikes. I remember travelling with my $650 bike to new trail systems and being very frustrated with the performance on what I would call upper intermediate trails. Coming home with bent derailleurs and wheels hideously out of true ruined the sport for me a little. You can spend $100+ on decent wheels once, or spend it over the course of several replacements, but you’ll still spend the same amount in the end.

I’m not saying that you absolutely must buy an expensive bike, I had great riding adventures on cheap bikes. I’m just saying consider the factors associated with the sport. I don’t think that going cheap on a mountain bike is the best idea. It will save you a lot of frustration, and you’ll be glad when you become a skilled rider and have a bike that is more likely to keep up with you and your abilities. Best of Luck.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.