New Rider Suggestions?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Myself and my brother are looking into getting into mountain biking. We did it some as children and we are wanting to start something outdoor and fun and this has interested us for a while.

First, I would like some suggestions on what bikes to look at. We are wanting to do off road trails of all difficutlies, of course moving up as we get better.
      Our budgets are I’d say $800 max, that is for each of us. What I’d like to know is should we go hardtail, or are there some nice full suspension ones for around that price? I just want some all around suggestions on types, brands, and exact bikes. Also, what size should we ride, I am 5’7 and my brother is 5’8. Is 24" standard or 26" or what. Just please give me some info, Thanks everyone.

Also, any suggestions on other gear like helmets etc. will be aprreciated.

[url:1izmlvla]http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_500065_-1_600017__[/url:1izmlvla]

Welcome Baumer to you and your brother,wish my brother would get into mtn biking like me,he has a stupid band he wont let go of,hahahaha,nough said.

Take a look at this performance bike store link,it is the Fort Worth location and for new bike’s and smaller budgets like your’s,they actually have some pretty good deals in your ballpark.Of course,dont forget to look at used bike’s,you just might be able to find a higher end full suspension for $800.If you guys want to tackle ALL kinds of trail terrain,then you should concentrate on gettin into full suspenension rigs.Of course,beginner’s have a tendancy to start out on hard tails which aint a bad thing,although full suspension bike’s are the norm these day’s with the technology trickle down effect,there are full suspension bike’s to be had at just about any price.Also,watch out for what type/brand of suspension comes with the bike(s) you are looking at.There are some low end suspension stuff you dont want to waist your monet on,like the dart series forks.
      Even if you dont buy your bike’s at the performance store,you should look into getting your helmets and accessories here,they pretty much have sale’s on everything all the time,and if they dont,they will in the near future.
      I’m sure there will be more reply’s to your post,but I gotta get for now,look forward to seeing you here on singleltracks.[/quote]

"baumer" wrote

Myself and my brother are looking into getting into mountain biking. We did it some as children and we are wanting to start something outdoor and fun and this has interested us for a while.

First, I would like some suggestions on what bikes to look at. We are wanting to do off road trails of all difficutlies, of course moving up as we get better.
      Our budgets are I’d say $800 max, that is for each of us. What I’d like to know is should we go hardtail, or are there some nice full suspension ones for around that price? I just want some all around suggestions on types, brands, and exact bikes. Also, what size should we ride, I am 5’7 and my brother is 5’8. Is 24" standard or 26" or what. Just please give me some info, Thanks everyone.

Also, any suggestions on other gear like helmets etc. will be aprreciated.

Welcome Baumer. don’t know if you saw MaddSlackers post, but he has some good low dollar FS bikes listed here:

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3532

Hope you find something. Let us know if you do. Like Steve, I wish I could get my brother into riding also. We ski and kayak together, and his son and I ride together.

These won’t last long at this price:
      http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … +2008.aspx

Decent bike, and in your price range even with shipping

"steve32300" wrote

[url:2joppy50]http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_500065_-1_600017__[/url:2joppy50]

Welcome Baumer to you and your brother,wish my brother would get into mtn biking like me,he has a stupid band he wont let go of,hahahaha,nough said.

Take a look at this performance bike store link,it is the Fort Worth location and for new bike’s and smaller budgets like your’s,they actually have some pretty good deals in your ballpark.Of course,dont forget to look at used bike’s,you just might be able to find a higher end full suspension for $800.If you guys want to tackle ALL kinds of trail terrain,then you should concentrate on gettin into full suspenension rigs.Of course,beginner’s have a tendancy to start out on hard tails which aint a bad thing,although full suspension bike’s are the norm these day’s with the technology trickle down effect,there are full suspension bike’s to be had at just about any price.Also,watch out for what type/brand of suspension comes with the bike(s) you are looking at.There are some low end suspension stuff you dont want to waist your monet on,like the dart series forks.
      Even if you dont buy your bike’s at the performance store,you should look into getting your helmets and accessories here,they pretty much have sale’s on everything all the time,and if they dont,they will in the near future.
      I’m sure there will be more reply’s to your post,but I gotta get for now,look forward to seeing you here on singleltracks.

[/quote]

Thank you for posting. I just went up to this store and talked to the guys up there, very helpful. I was wondering what anyone thought of the Access bikes with juicy brakes and the sram 9.7 triggers and gears. its a 29" for 800. What do you all think of this bike.

I was wondering what anyone thought of the Access bikes with juicy brakes and the sram 9.7 triggers and gears. its a 29" for 800. What do you all think of this bike.

Hey baumer,I’ve been eyeing those access frames at my performance store,the price tag is what I keep looking at,not bad price,I havent got any of the finer details on those bikes,although from what I learned from a short Q&A from the salesman at performance they are a pretty decent frame.I am big 300 plb. clydsdale and the salesman said I would be fine on either the 26 wheel frame or the 29 wheel frame.Just looking at them from my experience they look to be strong and have a good geomemtry but I have not actually ridden one yet.

Just make sure you try the MB you like before you buy. Also do a lot of looking about DONT get the 1st one you see. Have a look on sites for reviews. There are lots of good bikes about for beginners and I’ll recommend Merlin Malt 1 Merlin Malt 1 – BikeRadar.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.