New Rider – Protection Questions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hey all, I am brand new to the sport and subsequently the forums. I just picked up my first bike, a 2017 Cujo 1.

I come from the world of motorcycling and am used to wearing as much ppe as possible. I’ve been able to limp my Duc home with just a few bruises after an OTB accident on the street that should have landed me in the hospital or worse.

I am looking at knee/elbow protection and am stuck between three different offerings; the Fox Launch Pro D30, the G-Form Elite, and the 661 EVO II.

Most of the reviews are done by journalists either selling the products, getting affiliate kickbacks, or seem to buy into hype a little too much. Another issue is that they seem to use them for only a ride or two before they start mashing on their keyboards – I want something that lasts.

Does anyone have any practical, real-world, unbiased experience with these or could recommend something for someone brand-new and VERY likely to spend a lot of time on the ground.

Thanks in advance.

We surveyed 2,100 Singletracks members on this very subject, and the Fox Launch Pro D30 was by far the most popular knee guard.

Readers’ Choice: Your Favorite Protective Gear, Plus the Second Most Protected Body Part

I think you’re asking too much. If you crash a lot, you’ll have to replace your gear. Bulky gear last longer but sucks to pedal in. Everything is a compromise. All that said, I like the troy lee speed sleeve for every day riding and have much more substantial knees for the bike park or hucking off stuff.

I have recently tried alpinestars paragon pads and really like them.  Good luck!

All three brands are very good.  My only problem with the G30/G-form style pads are their design tends to have less venting than hard pads. Living and riding in the heat of the south I prefer hard pads mostly because if the extra venting and air flow, but even so, it can still be hot to wear. If I am just riding easy I don’t wear pads, riding mildly aggressive I wear  Fox Launch hard pads, https://wheelworld.com/product/fox-launch-knee-shin-pads-53066-1.htm?variations=66081&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5a20iJub2AIV14-zCh1F5w1VEAQYBCABEgKcGPD_BwE  and 661 comp elbow pads https://www.sixsixone.com/comp-elbow-guard-white?VariantInventoryID=3093&feed=Froogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI09WBh5yb2AIVG0wNCh3RhwBrEAQYAiABEgKiyPD_BwE

I also came from the dirt bikes/motocross, and I almost always wear a full face helmet and have a 661 EVO comp pressure suit jacket left over from my motocross riding I plan on using if I ever make it to a down hill park.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.