New ride for my son.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I’m a pretty excited dad today!

I finally wore my wife down enough to allow "santa" to bring my son a new bike for Christmas. The poor boy was riding a semi rusted hand me down from a family friend. The bike was basically a piece of shat and I always felt bad for him when we would go for a little jaunt around the block or a ride on the trails. He had a hard time pulling the brake levers and the bike had become a single speed because the rear derailleur had seized.

I went on the hunt for something that would hopefully get him excited about hitting the local trails with his old man. I wanted to make sure that he would be able to stop on a dime so disc brakes were tops on my list. Next I wanted something that had a little suspension to help smooth out the trail a little. Lastly I had to make sure it would last him for a while (wives orders). Now I just have to pray he doesn’t shoot up a foot in a year.

I think I made a good choice.

Specs:
      Specification Description
      Frame Norco aluminum
      Fork SunTour XCT Jr.
      Rims/Wheels Aluminum
      Hubs KT
      Tires Innova Semi-slick, 24 x 2.0
      Crankset TruVativ Blaze
      Chainwheel 36/24
      Front Derailleur Shimano
      Rear Derailleur Shimano
      Rear Cogs Shimano, 6-speed: 14-28
      Shifters Shimano
      Brake Levers Tektro
      Brakes Hayes MX4 mechanical-disc
      Pedals Wellgo aluminum
      Saddle Velo custom

I will post a full report with pics of my little guy with his new rig once santa delivers it on Christmas day…..

Sweet looking little rig there bro! 😄

I still remember the first day my son got a good bike and the first day he got his real FR bike and hucked off a 10′ drop. The days i will always remember….LOL!

I wish you and all yours the very best fun riding together as a family. We used to do that quite often until this year. Have a blast bro! 😄

My son was beside himself when he saw the bike, he wanted to head out the door at 7am, bare feet and all to take it for a ride.
      (pics to come)

He needs to get new helmet as his old one is pretty beat up and as he says, "baby pictures on the side of it".

We are thinking about getting him a full face helmet for when he comes on the trails with me.

Good idea or are they to heavy for their necks at this age. Anyone have any comments???

Wow, that’s awesome. I recently got my daughter a Haro for her birthday. My requirements were lax compared to yours because she’s growing like a weed and I know the replacement will be dictated by that rather than expanding needs.

I tried a full face on her but went back to an open lid as the weight was causing neck fatigue that cut our rides short. I should note that we’re doing xc and not downhill however.

I got my daughter the Giro Xen helmet. It’s technically XC, but it has a lot more coverage for the back of the head than some other XC models. It’s also very lightweight and well vented.

The old model is on sale pretty much everywhere and the new model is call the Xar.

Here is the one I’am getting my boy as well..He is riding a 16 in and we went out to look at them and the 24" fit him good and he will have time to grow into it.

Good choice. I’m convinced that this, the Specialized Hotrock, the Giant XtC Jr, and the Trek MT 220 are all essentially the same bike. And they are all a great intro to the sport!

My nephew has the Felt. It is a very quality ride, you won’t go wrong with it.

Here is what my son got for his birthday, It was going to be a Christmas gift but we could not get it in on time…So for his 7th Birthday the 30th this is what he woke up to.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.