New Mountain Bike Park in Watauga County, NC?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Just read this article about a new MTB park potentially under development in Watauga County, NC (where Boone and Blowing Rock are located):

http://www.goblueridge.net/index.php?op … 8&Itemid=1

Anyone know more about this? Sounds like good news since last time I was up that way there weren’t many legal trails to ride…

Thanks for posting this. I think that a lot of people would go out of their way to ride a "real" bike park. Although, they did open 26 west outside Asheville and it closed. Not sure of the details on that though. Anyway I am definately gonna keep my fingers crossed. Please post any updates!

I’m in the coastal plains, it gets prettty flat here so we have to drive…I would be stoked to have an honest no BS MTB Park in the Carolina Mtns.

I was looking forward to 26 West, but it burned out just as soon as it started…too bad really, but I admire them for trying.

Not sure if you guys read the article but I don’t think it’s going to be that kind of MTB park (though that [i:7lj627tc]is[/i:7lj627tc] what they’re calling it). More of a municipal park w/ MTB trails 😢

But speaking of 26 West, what happened to that place? Even when they were open I was never able to get onto their website… seems like a total marketing fail.

Any trails closer to Boone would be awesome!

The Boone Park is Called Rocky Knob, and is currently under construction, is it technically a municipal park, but is being built specifcally with mtn bikers in mind. The first trail will be 3ish miles, and is supposed to be done around fall 2010. They are shooting for 7 or so total miles upon completion – with a full range of difficulty levels. The land the park will sit on is gorgeous. It should be quite a spot when done.
      Ive been one of several volunteers helping to clear and clean the trails as they’ve built throughout summer. Cant wait for this one to finish!

For those interested, you can follow the progress here at the official blog:
      http://rockyknob.wordpress.com/

Update – Rocky Knob has the first loop almost finished… a secondary loop is about out half done. The hope was to have it ready by Thanksgiving but all the spring-seeping mudholes made it tough to finish. There is till have some armoring and bridges to finish, and the driving snow and sub zero weather has made wrapping that up pretty tough. The hope is to have a soft opening in early spring, with about 3 miles of trail, then hopefully a full grand opening late summer 2011 with about 6 miles of trails.
      The mountain is fantastic. Rugged forest, great views, bridges, and lots and lots and lots of rocks. it will be a quite a spot when finished.

"Gronckle" wrote

Update – Rocky Knob has the first loop almost finished… a secondary loop is about out half done. The hope was to have it ready by Thanksgiving but all the spring-seeping mudholes made it tough to finish. There is till have some armoring and bridges to finish, and the driving snow and sub zero weather has made wrapping that up pretty tough. The hope is to have a soft opening in early spring, with about 3 miles of trail, then hopefully a full grand opening late summer 2011 with about 6 miles of trails.
      The mountain is fantastic. Rugged forest, great views, bridges, and lots and lots and lots of rocks. it will be a quite a spot when finished.

Very awesome dude, thanks for the update! I will definitely have to make it up that way next year!

Rocky Knob Park (Boone, NC) will officially open May 1st 2011.
      This will include the initial 1.6 mile lower loop.
      A grand opening is set for sometime later this year when the upper trails are completed. there are currently about 6.5 miles of additional trails under construction.
      The trails will be pretty awesome when completed – a 3.6 mile climb though some extremely rocky draws and bowls, and then a swooping 2 mile or so down hill. Its a perfect spot – fantastic views, mountain foliage and rock formations throughout the park – this place is ROCKY for sure. Other features (skills area etc) are planned as well. Come on by and check it out if you’re in the area!

Just posted the trail and a map of the system:
      http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails … -park.html

(this is only like 4 miles from my house, so yeah im pretty pumped about it…)

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.