NEW HELMET

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I need a new helmet I am planning on doing just crosscountry but nothing to hardcore. what should i get???? I dont want to spend more than $100. 😕

There’s a huge variety of helmets to be had for under $100. However, you get what you pay for, and often cheap helmets will not fit properly or have unreliable retention systems.
      If a helmet doesn’t fit, and the retention system is shoddy, more than likely it will fail to do it’s job when you take a good fall.
      It’s very important that you go to an local bike shop and try on what they’ve got, regardless of price. This will give you a good idea of what brand fits your head best, as they are all different.
      Example: A large Giro helmet may fit you perfectly, but a large Bell or Fox will not.
      I suggest spending around $60-120 for a good helmet that fits well, and it will last you more than a few seasons of riding, barring crashes.
      And pick one that you think looks good!
      It’s been proven that people are much more likely to use a bike helmet if it doesn’t look like some sort of Caribbean cruise ship or deep-sea creature perched on their heads.

Alright, so here’s my recommendation(s).

The Giro Havoc- $55-$70 US

Bell Variant- $90-$100 US

Fox Flux- $95-$110 US

And heres a small list of LBS’s I found in the Calgary Area, and the Calgary Mountain Bike Alliance, which has a huge selection of helpful information.

[u:rszgvedk]Calgary Mountain Bike Alliance[/u:rszgvedk]

Calgary Cycle
      [u:rszgvedk]Calgary Cycle Location[/u:rszgvedk]

The Cycle Path Store

wow thanks thats really helpful i’ll keep my eye out for those ones. 😄

i decided to get the bell belltastic fullface 😬 😛

I’ve got one of those in blue and it’s awesome. I wear it any time I want to try something I haven’t done before. otherwise, I just wear a old Bell helmet, which is starting to look a bit shoddy. the lexan cover is cracked (probably from being dropped more times that it should have been) and the little pads on the inside are starting to peel away. I’ll probably get a road helmet because they weigh so little and have so much ventilation

i got the bellistic cause i got braces so the fullface is a bit of extra insurance 😬 😃

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.