New Guy

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Hello.

This is my first season riding MTB, and I am looking for an active, helpful form to give me advice and laughs along my new journey.

At 62, I think maybe I’m off the rails starting this sport, but I have found being on the trails a rush!

I have also discovered a $500 GT bike isn’t going to cut it out there for long……

For now, my main question is how older MTBers stay in shape off-season.  I live in the greater Seattle area, so cold and rainy approaches soon.

Any thoughts about exercises during winter greatly appreciated.  I do not have Exercycle nor wish to invest in trainer rigs, which cost way more than my GT.

Remember I’m older, so take it easy on me, lol!

TIA!

Welcome! GT should be a good bike. You might need to invest on safety gears to keep protected.

There are plenty of “MTB – specific” exercises to strengthen your core, glutes, neck, etc.etc. Do a search – they’re all over the web.

I’m also really old, and for me the best exercise is year-round riding. Trails when I can, road riding when I can’t do trails (too muddy/snow/whatever). I live in a really bike-friendly part of America, so there are tons of good riding within a short distance.

Get a fat bike and dress for it.  I found that I never put my fat bike away.

Get a Gravelbike or put Gravel tires on your mountain bike and keep riding all winter. Where I live the singletrack is some version of snow, slush, mud, or ice all winter long and is therefore impassable. That’s when I slap some gravel tires on my mountain bike and ride pavement or any dry gravel I can find. The right gravel tires (I use Panaracer Gravel Kings SK 700×43.) roll surprisingly fast on pavement. A short-travel full-sus or hardtail mountain bike makes a pretty good Gravelbike. I also walk, hike, and cross-country ski to mix things up. With the right clothing, riding in sub-freezing temperatures is do-able. I’m also 62 and I ride 4 to 5 times weekly. Start slow and build up. Before long, riding every other day will seem easy.

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

62 and still many miles left to endure. Have to ask, what is an off season?

The best part of being on plus bikes, there is very little to prevent that bike from showing a good adventure. Not even snow! Frankly, I haven’t looked back on the small tire world since going with a bike that wears tires as wide as 3.o.

Loads of traction and additional flotation with the 3.0 tire allows for travelling over loose and sand terrain. Winter and snow works on packed snow. Real snow and Tex is right, a fat bike is a better choice.

Enjoy the ride! Take your time and progress at the rate that suits you.

Another one…

Wouldn’t trade the plus for minus, evarrr!!

The best part of being on plus bikes, there is very little to prevent that bike from showing a good adventure. Not even snow! Frankly, I haven’t looked back on the small tire world since going with a bike that wears tires as wide as 3.o.

Or

Top is the Fleetwood Brougham, bottom is the one speed automatic! These two bikes are a hoot. Loads of traction and additional flotation with the 3.0 tire allows for travelling over loose and sand terrain. Winter and snow works on packed snow. Real snow and Tex is right, a fat bike is a better choice.

Or

Top is the Fleetwood Brougham, bottom is the one speed automatic! These two bikes are a hoot. Loads of traction and additional flotation with the 3.0 tire allows for travelling over loose and sand terrain. Winter and snow works on packed snow. Real snow and Tex is right, a fat bike is a better choice.

Hiking is a good off day/season adventure.

Welcome to the forums.

One of the best ways I keep in shape at 68 is to just ride. During the winter, I do other types of exercises, but mostly I just ride.

As for the bike – whatever gets you out riding is what you should use.  “Latest and greatest” is nice but if you are waiting around for and not riding, then, well you get the idea.

Enjoy the ride, enjoy the forums and welcome to MTB.

Thanks for the replies!

My neck of the woods gets lots of rain, so my workouts are indoors, mostly endurance and legs.

I have skinnies on an old Giant Prodigy which I use for road work, so I can do some of that too.

I find myself now interested in a Mullet bike, starting to save.  Mulletcycles.com looks good, a bit under 2,000 bucks.  Possible for next season, or season 3.

Before I hit a trail, I researched a lot, and got knee pads and armored undershorts, gloves and MTB shoes, so my PPE is good to go, and, sadly, tested in the field the one time I fell, but was moving very slowly….more embarrassed than hurt, lol.

Thanks again!

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.