New Grips Won’t Fit

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I’m still new to trail riding, but due to constant tendonitis it was suggested I get some ergonomic grips. After trying a few out, I bought the Ergon GP1 ([url:1ts8946z]http://freeflite.com/product/ergon-gp1-grips-69296-1.htm[/url:1ts8946z]). I tried installing them, but the right grip won’t tighten on the handle bar. The left one will tighten, but if I put too much pressure on the grip, it will move. Any tips or hints on how to get these suckers tighter onto the handle bars where they won’t spin while I’m riding? Thanks in advance!

Sounds to me you need to check the diameter of the current bars. There are a few different sizes out there. I have never really had an issue with mounting new grips. Good luck

The grips you linked are pretty standard, hopefully they would fit. An obvious question is did you tighten the allen bolt enough? Also, maybe pull it off and see if you have some oil or something on the bar underneath the grip? Maybe clean the bar and inside of the grip with rubbing alcohol. Are there two sizes for the grip? That could be the problem. It shows 92mm & 102mm for small and large hands. It looks like that corresponds with bar diameter?

The sizing is for the actual grip itself. The small grips are noticeably smaller for individuals with smaller hands. They are the same diameter. I’m tempted to throw some Lock Tight on there to see if it’ll stick.

Before you use locktite try a little of your wife’s (or sister’s) hairspray. It will bind a bit when it dries overnight. I would thoroughly clean the bar and inside of the grip as gar29 mentioned beforehand.

Thanks, I’ll try that tomorrow.

"CFM" wrote

Before you use locktite try a little of your wife’s (or sister’s) hairspray. It will bind a bit when it dries overnight. I would thoroughly clean the bar and inside of the grip as gar29 mentioned beforehand.

Good idea on the hairspray, I’ve done that before, it works good. Rubbing alcohol helps you remove them.

I just bought a pair of those grips last week. They should slide right on. Use the hairspray. It rocks.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.