New Garmin Edge305

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

My old Garmin Edge met with the ground too many times: two endos, a few butterfingers, and one driving off with it on the roof of the car and then having it fall off in an intersection as I went around the corner – luckily it was still early morning and there was very little traffic.

So, I sent it back to Garmin and they replaced it. Didn’t even bother fixing it. They sent me a brand new unit.

Haven’t ridden with it yet but just running through the set up menus, it sees to be really nice.

I’ve had the 305 Edge for about two months now… and I love it. I really needed the heart monitor function but with my need for bells and whistles I decided on the Edge. Good thing too, because I have found it perfect mounted on my little sailboat, sans the heart monitor.

I haven’t gotten into the "race against the computer biker icon" yet but I am sure it will help when a little incentive to push harder and faster is needed, especially when working out alone.

I do worry about it being mounted up there on the stem. Any ideas on a better location so the chance of destroying it in one of those common occurances we all know so well? I thought of a roll cage for it but engineering is not my forte.

Perhaps I spoke too soon. Trouble with my Edge is brewing. I can turn it on and it will lock on to satilites and display the information of my last run. I can’t clear the info by using the reset button and I can’t turn it off using the power button. It’s not locked up it still calculates speed but won’t reset. I tried to reset the entire unit by holding reset and Mode at the same time but it dosen’t reset. I found I can turn it off bye pressing the Mode button, which is not supposed to turn the unit off.

Anyone have any troubles like that with this unit? I am calling Garmin today. I’m afraid that I’ll have to send it back and be without it for some length of time.

Anyone have any troubles like that with this unit? I am calling Garmin today. I’m afraid that I’ll have to send it back and be without it for some length of time.

Check around online but there might be some other button combinations to try. I know in my panic I tried the Power and Mode together and that did something, too, but have you updated the firm ware lately?

My Edge sometimes locks up near the end of a long ride, though I don’t think this is the same issue. The screen is still on but none of the buttons work (it even becomes difficult to turn it off). Once I’m able to get it shut down and turned on again it generally has not been tracking during the time it was "locked up." Strange, fortunately it’s only happened a few times and now I can recognize it fairly quickly and get it restarted before I lose too much tracking.

On the plus side Garmin does seem to have pretty good customer service for stuff like this. When I bought my yellow eTrex several years ago the screen went bad and Garmin sent me a replacement free of charge. Of course the replacement was actually a refurb that had a sticky down button that took the strength of King Kong to press but at least it was functional ;)

On the plus side Garmin does seem to have pretty good customer service for stuff like this. When I bought my yellow eTrex several years ago the screen went bad and Garmin sent me a replacement free of charge. Of course the replacement was actually a refurb that had a sticky down button that took the strength of King Kong to press but at least it was functional ;)

I think that is how they are running the repairs because the turn around time for mine was phenomenal. Somewhere in the packaging it said that this was a refurbished unit. Given the size and complexity, they probably can’t do much any way.

I don’t know if I mentioned here but I endo’d with mine on one particular ride and I have it mounted on the stem. Bike landed squarely atop the unit causing it to shut down, knocked the face plate off, and the force snapped the zip ties off the mount. Once I got everything put back together, I turned it on and started riding again but forgot to turn on the timer and when I did, a mile down the trail I thought I was screwed. However, for some reason it did not stop recording. Garmin couldn’t explain it.

Garmin sent me a replacement free of charge. Of course the replacement was actually a refurb

I called Garmin and they said send it to them and they would replace it immediately… the lady checked stock to be sure that the turn around would be quick and she said she had 250 of them in stock. Not a good sign if that meant she had 250 "refurbs" in stock.

my fingers are crossed. I didn’t mention that I also mount it on my sailboat but the warrentee claims the unit can be submerged in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes before any trouble can be expected. No mention of salt water disclaimer so I think I’m in the clear there.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.