New Energy Gel from – Louis Garneau?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum New Energy Gel from – Louis Garneau?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

At first I thought this might be an early April Fool’s joke but apparently it’s for real. Here’s part of the press release:

Louis Garneau, known to the cycling industry as the cycling solution, launches a new product line today known as Garneau Nutrition. Six flavors of energy gel will hit the market as the debut of this product line with an electrolyte sports drink and more nutritional products to follow in the near future.

LG Gel is made with natural ingredients and an optimum blend of complex carbohydrates, electrolytes, and antioxidants needed to meet the nutritional demands of athletes during racing and training.

I’m a big fan of LG apparel (helmets, shoes, shorts) but energy and nutrition products seem to be a bit of a departure. With that in mind, it sounds like the company has really focused on the packaging for the new gel, making it easier to use on the go. The release continues:

We’ve perfected the packaging after two years in development (patent pending). The packaging is designed for a quick, no-struggle opening on the bike or during the run with a hole-punched tab for fingers to grip. The gel control spout allows the user to control the flow to the mouth and eliminates mess. The gel can easily be opened while in motion and the opening easily dispenses either directly to the mouth or in the waterbottle. Gel also stores perfectly in back pockets. The hole-punched tab will also be integrated to other products currently in development including bags and accessories.

Anyone else curious to give LG Gel a try? Does this solve any problems you have with your current energy gels?

Does it work better if you are wearing their gear? Just asking. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

Does it work better if you are wearing their gear? Just asking. 😄 Later,

Actually, it just might. 😀 I re-read the release and it sounds like some of their new packs might have hooks or loops to attach the gels so you can just pull ’em off to open. Some of my buddies who race do something similar already, using duct tape to attach the top of a gel packet to their stem. When it’s time to fuel up they pull the packet, leaving the tab attached to their stem (and no litter on the trail).

"trek7k" wrote

[quote="fat_billy":xkc2e7bs]Does it work better if you are wearing their gear? Just asking. 😄 Later,

Actually, it just might. 😀 I re-read the release and it sounds like some of their new packs might have hooks or loops to attach the gels so you can just pull ’em off to open. Some of my buddies who race do something similar already, using duct tape to attach the top of a gel packet to their stem. When it’s time to fuel up they pull the packet, leaving the tab attached to their stem (and no litter on the trail).[/quote:xkc2e7bs]

It would be interesting to see if companies focused on packaging (such as LG) design a way to keep the tab attached to the packet after it was opened.

Clif tried to solve the litter issue with a leash on the tear-off

Personally, I just buy Hammer Gel in bulk and use the flask

@maddslacker
      Awesome! I didn’t know Clif tried to solve it. I don’t use gels, I’m more of a shot blok user. It allows me to stop a lot. 😃 Does the leash work?

The flask makes sense. Even less waste and very little packaging per serving!

"Jared13" wrote

Does the leash work?

The leash doesn’t really work, and I don’t like Clif’s gels.

The flask is awesome, as you can also use it one-handed without stopping.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.