New Clydesdale Rider

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Not a new rider but I guess I am now a Clydesdale Rider due to my weight. Who would have "thunk" I would now have a new handle. At any rate I am not a new rider, I have been a Mt. Biker off and on since the 80’s and in the last 7 years a Road Biker. My Road Bike is a Giant OCR1 Carbon that I really enjoy. My Mt. is a new GT Avalanche 1.0 that I just recently purchased along with a similar model for my 10 yr old in XS mens. He is sprouting way too quick. My previous Mt. was a Schwinn Mt. from the 80’s that a really liked and was comfortable on. Just when you are getting new bikes for the family you see all the new stuff out there and…. well you know the story. We purchased a Schwinn Voyageur 21 Comfort for my wife as well. My plan is to use the Mt. fo my son and I as he has showed interest in off roading and then use it to cruise with the wife and him at slower paces around the many bike trails we have in the San Jose/Morgan Hill areas of N. California. So I guess other than introducing myself to the forum I am looking for tips on riding at this extra weight. I am 6’1 and about 270. I have gained about 30 lbs of mass, mostly muscle actually due to a medical condition that requires me to take stuff that guys on the Tour get banned for, but for me its a necessity to survive. So with this new sanity check on life I am eagerto ride more with the family and renew my interest with those 2 wheel contaptions we love to ride. Again any guidance or tips would be appreciated. Regards.

Hey sweater,welcome to singletracks dude,I’m steve32300 and am a clydesdale300 plb. at 6’2" and live in colorado where the air is thin,hahaha.And yes,I have a hard time at that weight and the steep climbs here along witht the thin air because although I’m out of shape,all that weight came from lifting weights a dozen years or so ago.And kindsa like you,I was on a prescription steroid called prednisone,quite common but steroid none the less,and I think it helped me put on that extra base of muscle weight that really takes up too much O2 especially when riding here in colorado.I was on prednisone for about a year straight,a little too long but I think I didnt care knowing what I was faced with if the medicine didnt do what we hoped it would do,,and it didnt,, so I had to have my colon removed,the whole thing and not just half like alot of others.I do have a hard time with the steep climbs here so my plan for the coming year and beyond is to give into the fact that I need to just ride in town alot more until I can get my cardio up in order to ride the trails like I want to.Also,riding has to be a intimate priority too,like fitting every chance possible of riding on one’s own time in order to stay ahead of it all.I hope that we can keep exchanging the experience dude,sounds like we are kinda in the same boat medically and hobby wise,look forward to having you here on singletracks,and again welcome and have fun,it’s a pretty cool website that has alot of cool people and is growing everyday..

Welcome aboard fellow clydesdaler 😃

Clydesdales RULE! We are a fun loving bunch us less we are picked on by a skinny rider. To much picking & we’ll challenge the thin crowd to a downhill contest where our main sponsor MOE MENTUM can help us out. Also you thin guys haven’t lived till you’ve been block passed by a Clydesdale in a turn. Keep in mind we are heavy duty and don’t break easily(not counting our steeds). Remember what the ladies say about Clydesdales, Warm in the winter and Shade in the summer! Besides bibs have a slimming effect in dark colors. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

Clydesdales RULE! We are a fun loving bunch us less we are picked on by a skinny rider. To much picking & we’ll challenge the thin crowd to a downhill contest where our main sponsor MOE MENTUM can help us out. Also you thin guys haven’t lived till you’ve been block passed by a Clydesdale in a turn.

Toooo Funnnnny Fat Billy 😆

Welcome aboard Sweater. I hope its good to be back in the saddle again. 😃

Thanks to you all for the welcome !!!

I look forward to more discussion and chats and again please pass on any hints or tricks. Not sure what they would be but i am open to any. One question that I have I guess is should i do anything with my rims on my ROAD BIKE. Again, its a Giant OCR1 with Std stock rims. Should I "beef" them up or just be cautious with my riding style?

Welcome to the site!

Just ride the stock wheels until you blow them out and then upgrade. I was 317 lbs when I started riding and had a few spokes and nipples break in my stock wheel set and I eventually blew the hub out (I ride hard and more regularly than most fat guys lol). Upgraded to a set of Mavic TN719s w/ XT hubs and they lasted a while but I eventually had spoke/nipple issues with the rear…I’m on my third rear wheel now. 😳 lol

EDIT – nvmd you said road bike. Don’t know anything about that.

Hello Fellow Clydesdales! I’m an Airborne Dirt Dart here that is pushing 250 at 6’1 and 53 for a few more weeks. Old and slow, but who cares. I’m still having fun and have the scars to prove it. Diet Pepsi through the nose after reading several of your posts. Y’all are a funny bunch. My kids don’t care, although the 17yo thinks I’m slow and I am, but my crashes are epic these days and provide them with plenty of laughs. Young pups, oh well at least they are out with me on the trails and having fun. Sometimes they even learn something, especially what not to do on this obstacle or in that turn…! Ride on fellow Clydesdales!

"CRK7376" wrote

Old and slow, but who cares. I’m still having fun and have the scars to prove it.

Hit the trail and having fun, that’s what it’s all about.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.