New chain…prelubed?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I installed a new sram 890 chain which came lubed. I went for a ride sunday in a really sandy area and when I got home I found half of Florida stuck to my drive train. I spent a couple hours cleaning up the drive train and relubing my chain with my white lightning clean ride lube and all is well now.

Do new chains come with lube on them or is it just some type of packaging grease that your supposed to clean off before use?

Yeah, as CP said, It’s not that I don’t trust their "lube" but I’ve always thought of it as just a way to be able to have the customer install the chain and be able to ride without having to worry about it. In my opinion it’s up to the owner on whether or not to re-lube the chain before riding with it. Point being….. Be safe and lube it anyways.

You’ll have to excuse me I’ve had a few drinks and I’m not so sure these statements will make sense.

"Asfyxiate" wrote

You’ll have to excuse me I’ve had a few drinks and I’m not so sure these statements will make sense.

Makes sense to me, but I have had a few drinks myself so we may be on the same level.

Yeah, the lube that came on the chain was way to sticky for the areas I ride in. It may be better for other areas. I like my dry lube much better.

The grease that chains ship with is more for anti-runt on the shelf than lube on the trail. It’s not that it is a bad lube, it’s just a dirt and dust magnet.

I always thoroughly degrease my new chains and re-lube with something appropriate to my terrain. The stuff Shimano chains come packed in seems to clean off slightly easier than Sram, but either takes a cycle or two of degrease, lube, ride, degrease to get it all off.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.