New Bike Purchase (Novice Rider)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone, I look forward to hopefully becoming a regular member of the boards and biking. I am looking to buy my first MTB very soon. I’ve owned bikes before but always cheap Walmart stuff. Looking forward to owning a nice quality bike that I can actually enjoy riding instead of getting frustrated when the chain slips gears every 10 minutes ;).

Anyway, I’ve been looking for several weeks and trying to research as much as possible. I think I’ve decided I want a 29″ hardtail. I also am really liking the 1×11 drivetrtains, mainly for the additional simplicity and reduced part count. I’ve also had a couple LBS guys tell me that it’s very common to not use the 2 or 3 gears you have on the front anyway? My top $$$ is around $1000 I think. I could probably spend more, but I would really like to get something for under that in the off case I don’t ride as much as I think I will.

Here is the bike that I think I may pull the trigger on. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/29er-mountain-bikes/fantom29-nx-tcs-mountainbikes.htm

Dirt Rag (MTB magazine) new issue just had an article on hard tails, reviewing 8 bikes of varying prices.

Trek Roscoe 8, Surly Karate Monkey, Niner Sir 9, Transition Throttle, Falconer custom, Kona Big Honzo DL, Chromag Rootdown and expensive Why S7.  I’d add Carver Ti and steel bikes. I know Jones bikes handle well. <span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #333333; font-family: Georgia,’Times New Roman’,’Bitstream Charter’,Times,serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 24px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; word-wrap: break-word;”>Try as many bikes as you have the time, they are all different. Even ask people on the trail to let you ride it for a minute, but stick to bikes your size, only.</span>

If you want the Overdrive definitely go with the Overdrive 2 as it has an air fork in addition to the GX groupset. A buddy of mine bought the Overdrive Comp with the Sram NX and although he’s been happy with it, it has a coil fork which is a major bummer. (Total BS for a $999 MSRP bike, imo) With your budget, you’ll want an air fork no matter what.

I’d recommend finding a few (4-5) hardtails in your price range and doing some research, comparing specs etc. I really regret not widening my scope on my first bike. Even if you’re gonna buy online, I’d try to demo as many of these bikes as possible because actually riding the bike can radically change your opinion on what you might want. Just my $0.02.

Both seem like nice bikes, one offers XT which is certainly the better drivetrain between the 2, but the other has better brakes.  SLX are surprisingly good brakes.  Either way, at your budget, I’d go used.  You can really get a great HT at $1,000 and not compromise on anything.  A 2-3 year old bike will be half price or less and you can usually find one in “like new” condition.  Front fork needs to be air!  One major advantage of used over online is the ability to test ride the bike- fit is everything.  Good luck, hope you get the bike that makes you want to ride more.

Thanks GDB, although I don’t think I have the patience or the time to go used.

Seems like you are really focused on the parts, which is fair but the bikes are very different. Motobecane has 71-72 degree head angle and Vitus has 67.5 degree.

I am in the same boat as you and seriously looking at the Sentier in 27.5+. Also looking Marin Nail Trail.

My wife has the Rely Trail. The men’s equivalent is the Mason Trail. Can be had for $750. Does not have top level parts but overall nice package and room in budget for dropper. Has 68 degree head angle.

Diamondback Mason Trail

My approach is going to be attending every demo I can and watch for deals. But it is going to be hard to pop $1,500-$2,000+ when a good package like that is available for under $1,000.

I’m glad you pointed that out. I will likely do a decent amount of road riding which means I’ll probably want the steeper angle?

That is pretty much correct, but I ride my Giant trail bike with 68 degree head angle on the road all the time.  The more elevation (especially downhills) and technical obstacles the slacker you want the head angle, to prevent going over the bars.  My Evil Insurgent has 65 degree head, (adjustable to 64 degrees). Full downhill bikes are around 63 degrees.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with a 2 or 3x system on a bike. Look at the trails you are going to be riding and take that into consideration. With long sustained climbs, and you’ll wish you had the 2x. While your needs and strength may vary, I always choose to go that route, plus, parts are cheap for older systems.

If you can, test on the trail before you buy. And as everyone as pointed out, air forks are a winner. You will get the best adjustability.

Check the back corner of your local bike shop and see what clearance models they have on the floor. You can get great deals from shops looking to move last years product. I almost always buy a “last years” special, new from my shop. I’ve saved 1000’s over the years by going that route.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.