New bike advice

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’m basically beginner to MTB but I really like it. The downhill speeds are a little scary and I’ve "bit it" a few times (nothing bad). Anyway, I currently own a Trek 4300 2002 version. I’m looking to upgrade a little. I was thinking of just getting the Trek 4300 disc version however I’ve seen some other bikes in a similar price range and need some advice. I want to be a little safer, have a dependable bike (little maintance)..etc.

I’ve been told getting a bike with disc brakes and a better fork is what I should look for…Guys/Gals I really need some advice.

I’ve seen these new 29er’s, heard some good things but they’re at the top range of my price range $700. I’ve looked at the Specialized RockHopper and it’ seems like a good deal, the 4300 disc still seems good. 29 or 26…

Please help…Remember, I’m fairly new, I’ll never be hardcore (I’m 48yo and don’t like injuries) but I do like it and want something good and dependable.

I started out on a Specialized Rockhopper, and I still commute to work on it. It’s a great starter mountain bike.

The 29’er has some advantages, but don’t totally max out your budget just to get one, as you may want to save some money for accessories.

Go and test ride the Trek, Specialized and maybe a Giant or a Cannondale. Pick whichever one that is the most comfortable within your budget.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Thanks alot. Most of the folks at the bike shops I’ve visited have been nice and haven’t tried to "hard sell" me. I live in Asheville NC so I’ve gotten alot of advice, but sometimes it’s too much.

I do plan to ride several models and see what I like. I’m only 5’6 so a shorter 26in frame may suit me better.

"maddslacker" wrote

I started out on a Specialized Rockhopper, and I still commute to work on it. It’s a great starter mountain bike.

The 29’er has some advantages, but don’t totally max out your budget just to get one, as you may want to save some money for accessories.

Go and test ride the Trek, Specialized and maybe a Giant or a Cannondale. Pick whichever one that is the most comfortable within your budget.

Good luck and happy shopping!

I agree. And the rockhopper is a good starter bike, definitely check that out.

I was just in the market for a new bike. I don’t think you can go wrong with the RockHopper. From what I’ve read, they are good bikes. I wound up buying a GT Avalanche since it was the most comfortable to me, and had comparable components to the bikes in the same price range. The best advice I think, is to do your homework online to compare components, etc, but you have to actually go to the bike shop and ride the bike. It will make your decision easier.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.