Need tire/tube advice

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

Picked up a Marlin disc from the lbs Saturday. I hadn’t had the bike 24 hours and already had a flat on the rear. Trail that I got the flat on had a lot of 10-12" drops and lots large roots that I hit pretty hard. I haven’t had time to check to see the cause of the flat. What exactly is a pinch flat? I was running a bone jaring 55lbs. of air in the tire. Yes I know i should have aired them down a bit. What is the proper inlfation range for someone about 155 lbs on trails as described above?

Stephen

Unless you heard a big pop or bang after one of those drops, my guess is your flat had little to do with too much air pressure or the drops themselves. I regularly ride with 60 psi and although I don’t do BIG drops, I rarely get flats. In fact I’m convinced part of the reason I don’t get many flats is my high tire pressure (though others may disagree).

Since you just got a new set of wheels I would think a pinch flat is the more likely culprit. A pinch flat happens when your tube gets "pinched" in between the tire and your rim. Pinch flats can happen instantly (like one that happened to me just last week as I was inflating a newly installed tire) or they can wear your tube during a ride and cause a small leak and eventual flat.

To prevent pinch flats, check carefully when you install a new tube. Add a little air to the tube, just enough to give it some shape. Start at the valve and squeeze the tire in so that you can see the rim tape inside your rim and make sure you can’t see the tube at all. Repeat as you rotate the tire back to the valve, then flip the tire and check the other side. If you see the tube at any point, use a tire lever to push it inside the tire. Here’s a pic to help:

"trussman" wrote

Picked up a Marlin disc from the lbs Saturday. I hadn’t had the bike 24 hours and already had a flat on the rear. Trail that I got the flat on had a lot of 10-12" drops and lots large roots that I hit pretty hard. I haven’t had time to check to see the cause of the flat. What exactly is a pinch flat? I was running a bone jaring 55lbs. of air in the tire. Yes I know i should have aired them down a bit. What is the proper inlfation range for someone about 155 lbs on trails as described above?

Stephen

trussman, congrats on pulling the trigger on the new bike. Be sure to keep us posted on how you like it (aside from the flats, of course!).

Where are you riding 10-12 foot drops? Dang, I’d be worried more about a broken wrist or ankle than a flat tire. 😃

Where are you riding 10-12 foot drops? Dang, I’d be worried more about a broken wrist or ankle than a flat tire. 😃[/quote

That would be 10-12 inch drops. My riding abilities are far from being able to measure drops in feet. Thats funny as crap though.

"trussman" wrote

Where are you riding 10-12 foot drops? Dang, I’d be worried more about a broken wrist or ankle than a flat tire. 😃[/quote

That would be 10-12 inch drops. My riding abilities are far from being able to measure drops in feet. Thats funny as crap though.

Oops, I should read more closely. 😳 Well, it’s something to work up to I guess. I wouldn’t think a 12 inch drop would cause enough stress in and of itself to blow a tire.

12 inch drops. My riding abilities are far from being able to measure drops in feet.

Hahahaa,that is funny,but 12 inches = 1 foot,you just measured your first drop in feet.hahahahahaahaha.NO pun intended,it was just funny cause you both were chasing it around like a dog chases his tale.hahahahahah.

Well after 2 tubes I finally got the tire to hold air. I put one in and pumped it up to find a small pin hole in it. Put another on and it had a crack in the seem that started to leak as soon as I put air in it. Finally I put one of those slimez patches on one of the tubes and it appears to be holding. I checked the tire thouroughly for anything sharp (even ran a pair of nylons through it to see if they hung anything and I found nothing). What is the posibility of 2 bad tubes?3

Bad part about it I didnt get finished until about 9:30, so no ride yesterday. Bummer.

Give these a try, I love them:
      http://shop.truegoo.com/category.sc?categoryId=8

Note: pay attn to prests vs schrader AND do not get the Thorn Resistant (TR) ones they SUCK!

"trussman" wrote

Stephen

dude tubes are so random. i will go for weeks without a flat, and then flat twice in one ride. the trail and what makes the trail up can make a difference, there are a lot of variables in play. i know a downhiller who would never ride more than minimum inflation on his tubes because of the decrease in traction, and he could go through a tube ever single run. craziness

right on man. i’ve been typically doing about 5 over minimum for all mountain/cross country type riding. it serves me well enough, but i still flat every now and again. i think my bicycle is sitting in my carport right now with two flat tires, though.

I usually ride five under max. When I try to ride lower pressure my weight makes it difficult. I have thankfully not had a flat in four seasons and counting. I have had to help change riding partners flats though. Some of those guys are thorn magnets. I just hope my streak continues but I still always have a patch kit and spare tube.

make that one flat. but it’s crazy, haven’t had any in a month or so

Well the patched tube did not hold up, another small pin hole leak. Just took the tire off again and put yet another new tube in. Once again me and an accomplished auto mechanic went over the tire inside and out and could not find anything to poke a hole in the tubes. I will see how this one holds up. I guess my only other option if this one does not hold up would be a new tire.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking the same thing but I haven’t found anything. No burs in the aluminum and the the tire liner is laid down flat with nothing rough on it.

The first 2 tubes came from the lbs Avenir I think. The one I just put on was a Bell from Wal mart.

"maddslacker" wrote

Give these a try, I love them:
      http://shop.truegoo.com/category.sc?categoryId=8

Note: pay attn to prests vs schrader AND do not get the Thorn Resistant (TR) ones they SUCK!

I’ll keep sayin’ it until people listen… 😆

Slacker, when you say the Thorn Resistant tubes suck are you refering to a specific brand or "in general"

I have never had to run them but when my step-kid became a thorn magnet (flats three trips in a row and once at home-found a thorn on the sidewalk or something) we put those on his bike. Didn’t have the problems anymore.

Just wondering cause I ‘ve never run them my step kid wouldn’t notice the difference.

I used to run them,they worked wonders for me.They do a great job in the goat head category,but they are a little heavy.I actually got bored never having to fix a flat with em so I went back to regular ol’ tubes.funny how thinkgs work out somtimes.

"Devin_P" wrote

Slacker, when you say the Thorn Resistant tubes suck are you refering to a specific brand or "in general"

Specifically the TrueGoo thorn resistant tubes suck. (They’re CST, by the way)

They are insanely heavy, and they are so thick that even with a tire aired down it remains hard and traction suffers.

Regular TrueGoo tubes are awesome, and I have pulled numerous goatheads out my tires and my daughter’s, and it only requires a spin or two of the wheel to seal right up.

I’ll keep sayin’ it until people listen… 😆

Does the goo stick to anything in the rim or tire when they are puntured?

I’ll get one to keep around for my next flat. So far so good with the last tube I put in.

Stephen

"trussman" wrote

Does the goo stick to anything in the rim or tire when they are puntured?

No, not at all, and you can even deflate/re-inflate tires without the sealant sealing up the valve.

I was just wondering if anyone mentioned to check where the valve enters the rim..Sometimes there can be a burr that cuts the valve at its base.

The funny thing is I have rarely gotten flats on the trails, even when doing 6 foot drops.. Just make sure you have enough pressue in the tires.

I have used both tube and tubeless wheels with Stan’s and find that works.

What are tubes??? 😃

Dude get rid of those things… I haven’t had a tube in about 6 months and I feel great…I haven’t had a flat in a year! (knock on wood) Part of that is luck and the other part is my set of Bontrager tubeless wheels…If you got the cash go tubeless its well worth it and worst case scenario put a tube in if the puncture is too large in diameter for the Stan’s to fill…its a win-win situation

"Martino0626" wrote

What are tubes??? 😃

Dude get rid of those things… I haven’t had a tube in about 6 months and I feel great…I haven’t had a flat in a year! (knock on wood) Part of that is luck and the other part is my set of Bontrager tubeless wheels…If you got the cash go tubeless its well worth it and worst case scenario put a tube in if the puncture is too large in diameter for the Stan’s to fill…its a win-win situation

AMEN!! Tubes are so old school! Before I could switch my new bike over to tubeless (which it is now) I put Stans into the tubes. Just have to be careful when putting it into Presta tubes so as to not lose the pin into the tube – it’s really easy.

And if you are riding at 55# and getting pinch flats then dropping to 40-42 will cause more pinch flats – although from your descriptions this wasn’t an easy pinch flat type deal.

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.