Need some input from the clipless crowd

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Need some input from the clipless crowd

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

Well guys,

I’ve decided to give the clipless pedals a try and see if they will take me to the next level of performance I keep reading about and hearing about on the trails. I bought the Shimano SPD M520 pedals to try out and my question is this- What kind of shoe would you guys recomend would be the best option- being I’m new to the clipless system and what would give the best support? I’m a bit of a muscle head at 220lbs so I would need a shoe to support a bit of weight. Would the Shimano shoes mate up better with the pedals or would any shoe do ? Would like a shoe that you can hike your bike in

Thanks for any help guys…

Basically any shoe will do. I recommend going and trying some on and see what fits well. Also, decide what you’re willing to spend up front. If you’re not careful, you can end up spending a ton of $$ on shoes. I’m using a pair of the Mavic Razors right now and love them, and they weren’t overly expensive either.

Here’s a review by element22 (haven’t actually read this one yet, not quite sure what his final verdict was):
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … oe-review/

I like my Bontrager Race Mountain shoes and a good friend of recommends Northwave Lizzard Pro SBS

Thanks guys- I’ll look into both of those

I don’t have clipless But I’m interested in them and in talking with my LBS the "egg beaters" design is suppose to be the "bull’s pussy" (meaning the sh*t) I don’t know off hand any brands etc. but they seem to be the best as in easy in easy out etc. I’m probably talking out my ass considering I don’t own a set, any thoughts?

Eggbeaters, and by extension, Candy’s, are awesome.

That is all…

"1sikkHucker" wrote

I don’t have clipless But I’m interested in them and in talking with my LBS the "egg beaters" design is suppose to be the "bull’s pussy" (meaning the sh*t) I don’t know off hand any brands etc. but they seem to be the best as in easy in easy out etc. I’m probably talking out my ass considering I don’t own a set, any thoughts?

I’ve heard good things about the egg beaters as well. But I wanted a bit more surface area on my shoe to pedal contact. I also looked at all the reviews on the Shimano SPD M520 pedals and they were all very good- So I went with the Shimano pedals. I’ll be posting reviews once I get some ride time on them

My daughter tried both Eggbeaters and M520’s, and she prefers the Shimanos.

But she’s only 10, she’ll come around eventually.

+1 on Maddslackers suggestion of the candy’s, eggbeaters with a little platform. Makes a quick clip in easier for me. I wouldn’t ride any other way then clipless now. I also use Mavic Razors but have wore them out after a couple seasons, oh and my dog helped a little too by chewing on them once, I still used them until the buckle broke…good shoe but my LBS carries these new specialized shoe that looks like a hiking shoe, just a little heavier then the mavics but I am okay with that, they are so comfortable…

I rode Eggbeaters for several years and I love them (still have them on my commuter)

Long story short, Crank Bros replaced my broken Eggbeater SL’s with Candy 3’s and to mu surprise I really really like them.

I’ve been riding Candy’s for over a year as my first clipless pedal platform and really liked them for the introduction. Now that I’m so much more comfortable with clipless, I’m thinking I may move to Eggbeaters, but I’m glad I started with something more… typical. 😀

@fitch, Having gone the other way, I found my feet to be slightly less fatigued on really long and/or technical rides with the Candy’s. I was really surprised, like I mentioned.

Good input guys thanks I’m not even the orig. poster with the question but I have been educated and informed for when I do go get clipless

Egg Beaters don’t handle rock impacts very well if you smack them hard. Eventually, you will. I prefer Time. Rebuildable and tough.

I have the Shimano M540 clipless. I like them alot. No complaints at all.

Unless you race don’t spend a lot. Just make sure they fit. Jenson has great deals.

"vKAOSv" wrote

I have the Shimano M540 clipless. I like them alot. No complaints at all.

That’s all I keep hearing most everyone say…Exactly why I bought them

My Sidi’s are awesome but should be for the price. 😄 Later,

I have Shimano M520 and no complaints. Had them for about 4 years. One benefit with them is that most "Spin" bikes at gyms use spd cleats.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Basically any shoe will do. I recommend going and trying some on and see what fits well. Also, decide what you’re willing to spend up front. If you’re not careful, you can end up spending a ton of $$ on shoes. I’m using a pair of the Mavic Razors right now and love them, and they weren’t overly expensive either.

Here’s a review by element22 (haven’t actually read this one yet, not quite sure what his final verdict was):
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … oe-review/

I don’t have the shoe that Greg recommended, but in the picture of the review, you’ll see the top strap (closest to your ankle) is a ratcheting type strap. Regardless of which shoe company you go with, I’d highly recommend one with that ratcheting strap. You can get the shoes nice and snug without getting them too tight. I think if all three were velcro, you wouldn’t be able to get a nice enough fit.

When I ride clipless, I like my shoes snug. When I ride flats, I have my shoes very loosely tied.
      Go figure 😆

Same pedals as you. Love them. I have the 90$ Northwave whatever they’re called shoes. Can’t imagine needing anything better. They work awesome.

The bearings in one of my SPD’s failed and I had a set of Candy’s that came with a bike I’d purchased. Thought I’d give them a try and bought cleats. Just riding them in the yard it sure seems like I come "unattached" easily. I tried switching the cleats to opposite shoes and still don’t feel I’m clipped in good enough.. any suggestions?

uhhh…..tighten them. 😆

"jmitch" wrote

The bearings in one of my SPD’s failed and I had a set of Candy’s that came with a bike I’d purchased. Thought I’d give them a try and bought cleats. Just riding them in the yard it sure seems like I come "unattached" easily. I tried switching the cleats to opposite shoes and still don’t feel I’m clipped in good enough.. any suggestions?

Strange. I have to ride eggbeaters for years before they feel loose to me. Are you sure you got the right cleats?

Personally, I’m a Time ATAC fan.

"abegold" wrote

Egg Beaters don’t handle rock impacts very well if you smack them hard. Eventually, you will. I prefer Time. Rebuildable and tough.

Eventually you learn to not smack the rocks … 😆

"Dahamp2003" wrote

uhhh…..tighten them. 😆

Crank Bros pedals don’t have a tension adjustment, and they are designed to have a certain amount of ‘float’. The float can be adjusted by swapping the cleats left and right.

"Dahamp2003" wrote

uhhh…..tighten them. 😆

Uhhhhh…tell me how this is done?:):)

The pedals were included when I bought the bike and don’t look "worn".. I may take a trip up to the LBS where I bought the cleats and see what they say. Maybe it’s normal. Do you maybe have to keep your feet perfectly straight(?) when using these pedals?

"jmitch" wrote

Do you maybe have to keep your feet perfectly straight(?) when using these pedals?

No, like maddslacker says, the cleats have a certain amount of builtin "float" (the ability to twist a bit without resistance). Seriously, if you have the correct cleat for that pedal it should be damn hard to get out if you have them swapped to the most resistant sides. Wouldn’t hurt to go see the fine folks at your LBS — it may be something simple, and chances are they aren’t that busy this time of year anyway.

Right, Crank Brothers pedals don’t allow you to adjust tension. I run Crank Bros on all 3 of my bikes and in my opinion the "stock" tension does feel relatively loose right out of the box. For this reason these pedals aren’t for everyone. If you want a tighter pedal you may need to replace with something adjustable that you can really crank down.

And yes, Crank Bros pedals will start to feel ‘loose’ when the cleats are getting worn out. I rotate cleats such that the new ones are on my MTB shoes, then they go to my commuter shoes, then they go to the recycle bin.

I bought some sette shoes from Price Point and they are doing very well and I bought them on sale at an awesome price 😃

Viewing 30 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.