Need some Advice on Used Hard Tale – Cheap

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I’m new to the site and just. My son’s girlfriend came with my son and I out mountain bike riding for here first time. She came bike really liking it. Here is situation. Her bike is broken and she doesn’t have the money for any type of bike. My son really enjoyed riding with and would like to have her come with us more. I thought that if I could find and older hard tail for about 150.00 that is in good enough shape to ride, we could make changes as needed later. Now she is a begging rider is only riding the simple trails. I found a Trek 3900 for 160.00 and a 830 for 125 that appear to be in good shape from the pictures and talking with the seller. I haven’t seen them yet. The 3900 has a small front shock but the other doesn’t. IF the 830 was in good enough shape, I thought I could add a lower price shock. Have no idea on the cost of this though.
      I wanted to ask for the communities’ thoughts on this or maybe some other suggestions.

If she chooses not to ride at some time in the future, I would just change the tires to street and use it as an around town bike for me and my son.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Russell

Hi there Russel,

The 830 is a vintage bike. While there’s nothing wrong with riding a vintage bike, you will find that any upgrades(like the fork) will be either impossible, expensive or an exercise in scanning Craigslist, because you’ll need to find an old part to fit an old bike.

You didn’t mention the year of the 3900, but if the bike isn’t more than 5 or so years old, that’s the route to take. It uses the standards of today’s bikes, so parts can be purchased anywhere.

Thanks. I kind ran into the part thing already with the 830. I wanted to put some kind of front suspension on it from Rock Shox or other and found out that is real hard to fit it.
      Unfortunately, The 3900 Just sold before I could get there. Still locking.

There is this, Which is out of your price range but is still cheap and needs a lot less upgrading. You could even just let it be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Yukon-Alu … 7111&rt=nc

This GT may be older but it is pretty upgradable. Plus you got the triple triangle to help on the climbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-GT-Aggr … 1e9b547e64

Cavermatthew

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.