Need help with a bike rack setup

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I travel a lot for business, and had a good trunk rack setup on my company 2006 Dodge Charger. They just replaced that though, with a 2010 Ram crew cab truck with a short bed. I need to add a tool box in the back for some supplies, but that makes the bed too short to put the bike in using a Rec Rac type setup. Is there any kind of wheel rack that can mount to the toolbox, that will allow a bike to fit in the back with the box, without having to remove the tire every time? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A short bed, toolbox, and not wanting to remove your front wheel leaves you with few options. Not sure sure how wide the bed is but maybe you could install some straps, like the ones bike racks use, directly to the toolbox and strap your bike in sideways. Probably going to run into problems with the pedals hitting the box and with the front wheel being too long to fit without jack knifing the whole bike. I know you are trying to avoid it but the easiest way would be to get a quick release front axle for easy on and offs and just install one of these onto the top of the tool box.

[url:30vit7os]http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031488_-1_1529500_20000_400019[/url:30vit7os]

A pick up truck is the easiest way to haul a bike, you don’t even need a rack, put the front wheel against something and strap it down, the forks will compress and hold the bike, as long as you have front suspension, you may beable to put the wheel in the corner against the box and the bed and strap it that way then angle the back of the bike toward the back of the truck, you can hold the back of the bike with a bunge cord or make a wooden rack to hold the front and back wheel in place, you should beable to do most of that without drilling any holes. Good Luck

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.