need help seating a bead

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

nevermind……..compressor.

LOL, Maybe there’s a place for a tool like they use on truck tires. It’s an air tank conected to a wide flat nozel through a ball valve, so the tire tech can hold it up to the bead, and flip it open to blast a lot of air right in through the bead. It could be done with co2. Starting fluid works a treat to, but you didn’t hear it from me. 😼 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLBRMpyU_Z0

I had a hard time getting my tubeless wheel barrow tire inflated and my neighbor reminded me of a trick: wrap a rope or bungee around the circumference of the tire and tighten. This often presses the bead into place, allowing you to get some air into the tire. I suspect it works best on wide tires (a wheel barrow tire is probably 3"+) but it *might* work on bike tires. Anyone ever try this?

A ratchet strap works good, I’ve worked on tires that needed 2 to get the job done 😈
      Tire soap or wax can also help seal the bead, but nothing beats a big blast of air 😃

I’ve done the strap method on ATV tires, but never a bicycle.

I just mounted a GEAX Saguaro (not tubeless-ready) on to an Easton UST wheel and I found I was able to pull the sidewall out with my thumb and get it in position, then a quick it with the compressor popped it in nicely.

I’m pretty confident I could do it with a decent floor pump like the Topeak Joe Blow Mountain or my co2 inflator, but I had no luck with my crappy walmart pump.

I’ve never needed to use anything more than a floor pump to mount tubeless or non-tubeless tires – but maybe I’ve just been lucky. 😀 My floor pump is a mid-range Planet Bike model, definitely not a high volume pump, and on stubborn tires I’ve been known to slather on a lot of soapy water.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.