Need Help from 2007 Stumpjumper owners

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I weight about 160 lbs and i have a 07 stumpy comp with the triad in the back and rl in the front. I still haven’t dialed my ideal shock settings in, anybody have pointers besides what i can read in the manuals? What have some of you put your shocks at. I put mine at the recommended air levels and have the rebound at a moderate setting although I have tried more and less in both.

Hey Wardtr, first let me say this, I don`t take financial advice from broke people as an example, so let me give you my resume first. I`ve owned 3 FSR`s since 2000, I`m 42 yrs old, been MTBing for around 14 years, grew up riding dirt bikes, etc… I currently ride an 05 stumpy expert (5 inch travel) with the septune rear shock and a RL on the front. (I would bet that our bikes are quite similar) I run my rear shock about 5 lbs over my weight and the front is adjusted to the owners manuals specs for my weight (which sadly is considerably more than your 160 lb weight), and then I set my "pro pedal" as stiff as I can make it (the septune has no lock out). This gives me a somewhat "crisp" (some might say harsh) feel at low speeds, but as the speed increases the front and rear turn into some sort of majic that gives me trail feedback that still absorbs bumps beautifully (keep in mind that I`m an FSR fanatic) and seems perfectly balanced to me. I`ve tried many different setups before settling on this one. Good luck 😃

P.S. I try to keep my rebound in the middle, but I`m always bumping into it when I get my water bottle out and invariably knock it out of adjustment. (not to mention knocking the pro pedal lever out of adjustment too)

BTW, the Fox Septune isn’t their most shining example, but I’ve heard of PUSH doing wonders with these shocks. The most glaring defect in the Septune is it’s lack of compression damping. I’ve heard most people with the Septune have to use massive amounts of Propedal to keep the shock from packing up at speed, as it’s easily overwhelmed. It’s sort of like a poor-man’s compression adjustment.
      Sweetlife is on the money with his description of the Septune’s behavior, and I’d definitely take his word on setting up your Specialized…. I’m not a big fan of the big red S, so I’m biased otherwise…. get a different bike. 😼 😃

Yes, if my septune gets "stuck down" again, it`s going to get "pushed". I`ve heard nothing but good things about those guys.

hey wardtr,i have a 2007 sj elite with the rlc fork.wow,what a fork.first of all i want to let you know that i am in the same boat you are.i have not even come close to getting my ideal settings cause the bike is brand new and the rlc is even newer.the rlc is 2008 and ive only rode it like 3 or 4 times as of typing this reply.doesnt the comp come with the float fork?my rl had to be replaced after 3 trips back to fox and they just could not get it fixed and the only thing they had to replace my rl was an 08 rlc.that means two more adjustments that i need to adjust to my riding style.so,how do we get to the ideal spot?the triad is made to be simple,so i pretty much set it on propedal most of the time(trail setup,for me which is mostly what i ride)and set the rebound in the middle and adjust it just like they say to,so it rebounds back up just enough so that it doesnt buck you out of your seat.its a simple shock made for quick easy use,so i dont really see all that much you can do with it besides accept its simplicity of use.although,like i said i am in the same boat as you and would like to get some ideas on THE setup.im a heavy rider as i put on alot of muscle lifting weights.i weigh 280 plbs. so i am pretty close to the max air preasure in the shock.i can tell you though the shock still works like it would for you at your weight.not a bad shock i think.i am working on setting my fork up with the article in the september 2007 mountain bike action mag.check it out and follow the article from start to finish.it might not toatally help you get your fork set up (IDEALLY)although i think it will help help get me and you pointed in the right direction and help read the signs a little easier.the article has a few details that are just too lengthy to list here,although you can ask me cause i have the article sitting right here on my desk.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.