Need help! Falcon trail…

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

i’m planning to ride the falcon trail monday morning (wohoo no work) and i’ve read the recent reviews and talked to diffrent people at the LBS and it seems that people are undecided on how to ride the trail clockwise or counter clockwise, they both have uphill and downhill but what i really want to know is which way has the better downhill??? i could always do both if all else fails…

so any imput in this matter is greatly appreciated…..

im a big fan of going counterclockwise, the reason i perfer going that way is the downhills are longer in that direction, the only downside is that in that direction the climbs are steep insteed of long and drawn out. so if you can imagine, going clockwise will give you long drawn out climbs and steep quick descents.

that puts things in a better prespective, everyone was just telling me " i like it this way " or "i rather do it that way" but not really telling me why they rode it that specific way.
      i’m planning to meet up with one of the techs from the LBS monday at 830-845 if you want to roll down there and ride….

"BUDDAH" wrote

that puts things in a better prespective, everyone was just telling me " i like it this way " or "i rather do it that way" but not really telling me why they rode it that specific way.
      i’m planning to meet up with one of the techs from the LBS monday at 830-845 if you want to roll down there and ride….

that is usually the way it is when people talk about the Falcon Trail, before i first rode it i was asking the same thing on which way is the more fun way to go, i had alot of people telling me to go clockwise but they never explained why, so i did and it was a blast, but when i got home and thought about the ride i was thinking, "man those climbs were long and too bad the descents are too short", but after that thought went thru my head, i thought maybe i should try to do it counter clockwise, and when i did i thought it was way more fun, im a big fan of nice, fast and long descents so going counter clockwise is alot more fun to me, but some people like the long climbs and short descents of going clockwise, im not one of them.

as for meeting up for a ride monday morning im down. also what LBS does the tech work at? im assuming CS West.

Wow, I’m really confused. I totally agree with what you guys are saying about liking long downhills, but I think you get them by going [i:ks9aadoo]clockwise[/i:ks9aadoo]. If you go counter-clockwise then you give up all that hard earned altitude in your brakes when you drop down from the Stanley Canyon trailhead. By going clockwise you don’t go as fast, but you basically coast down most of the way without a lot of braking. More enjoyment for the effort expended in the climb, IMO.

I guess the OP is back to square one. Really, I think that either way is good. Try it both ways and decide which way matches your style. You do plan on riding it more than once, right?

i guess the best way to decide is just to hit the trail both ways, RIGHT 😃 😃 😃

trailrider,
      yeah thats where he works at…
      he’s never riden there before either and i guess theirs a facebbok group who is also meeting up, not sure how many people…

I’ve only ridden the northern end of the trail so far and I preferred it CW. it was pretty awesome coasting through the ponderosa near the golf course.
      I understand the southern half has much more climbing (or DH if CCW) so until I ride the whole thing, I dunno!
      you came up with the best advise, Buddah, do it both ways!

to put the trail into perspective, ill use my Falcon Guide Book and list the miles and elevation youll descend going in both the clockwise and counter clockwise directions, going in the counter clockwise direction youll have 3 downhill sections with a total length of 7 miles, one being 3 miles with a descent of 400′, 1 mile with 50′, and 3 miles with 200′, now going in the clockwise direction you also get 3 downhills with a total length of 5 miles, one being 1 mile with 100′, 2 miles with 100′, and 2 miles with 300′.

heres a good layout of the elevation:
      [url:2rl9z7t6]http://www.medwheel.org/gps/falcon.html[/url:2rl9z7t6]

easy to see the 5 mile DH CCW.
      [url:2rl9z7t6]http://www.medwheel.org/gps/gpsimg/falconmap.jpg[/url:2rl9z7t6]

thanks for all the quick replys fellas, hope everyone has a good memorial weekend with lots of riding involved………….

go one lap in each direction, problem solved

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.