Need a new fork and…

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Need a new fork and…

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

So I’ve been off the bike (running) for quite a while now. I do, however, have my old Barracuda Cuda Comp laying in wait for a dusting off and then dirtying up (its a little old, but I figure until i’m solidly hooked, it’ll do). It will, however, need a bit of a rebuild: new tires, new brakes (still has canti’s), and a new fork. I can figure out the other stuff, but the fork is a big question mark in my mind.

Can anyone make any recommendations for a reasonable fork replacement. I’d rather not dump $100’s into it since the bike may get replaced in a few months anyway, but a slightly older/used model on closeout somewhere would be great. I just don’t know where to start as its been quite a while since I shopped for a bike.

I hate to hurt local bike shops so check with them first since they have families to feed. But you can usually find good fork deals on Jenson USA web site. They usually are selling brand new last year model forks. You can’t pet the local bike shop dog at Jenson though.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/138-Forks.aspx

+1 on jensonusa.com

pricepoint.com
      and
      ebay.com can have good deals as well

It would help you to have an idea of your current travel on the fork before you replace it. I looked on bikepedia.com and there is a 1996 Barracuda Cuda Comp. Is that your year? Looks like it came with a Rock Shox Judy fork. That year came in 50mm, 65mm, and 75mm travel increments so anything in that range would suit your bike just fine. Also, you’ll need something with a 1 1/8in tube to fit your head tube.

Something along these lines should work…
      [url:3f0c6lag]http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15674-315_ROCD27-3-Parts-59-Forks/Accessories/Rockshox-Dart-2-80mm-Suspension-Fork-’07.htm[/url:3f0c6lag]

If you go with a used model on ebay you are taking a bit of a chance getting something a little beat up but you CAN find good stuff for cheap if you do your homework.

Good luck

Thanks guys. Jeremy, I believe mine is older. I know it came with a manitou elastomer-based fork. I’ll have to do more research once I grab it from storage.

I know its white on the front half and deep red/maroon in the back. Came with full LX components (7spd I believe). If I had to venture a guess, I’d say its probably a 92-94.

Basically, you want to try to stay in the same range of travel with your new fork as your old one for frame stress reasons. You will also need to make sure the steering tube diameter matches the old one so it will fit your head tube. 95% of the time, older shocks are 1 1/8in. You can pull off your stem and measure the steering tube’s diameter if you aren’t sure.

Thanks Jeremy. Definitely aware of need to match the head tube diam., etc. (used to build my own road bikes for a while, so…)

I just don’t know what the technology is today or what model forks are worth looking into. I guess I need to find out more about my current one before I can start looking to replace it.

Guessing by the year, your old fork probably only has the more basic adjustment/features that newer forks can come with. I would guess there is some form of preload adjustment for the sag and possibly some sort of rebound adjustment as well. Newer forks will usually all have this and can have other features like lock-out for climbing (remote or non-remote), some sort of buit in dampening system, travel adjustability (remote or non-remote), independant positive and negative air spring chambers, and different types of axles. If you are looking for something with extra goodies, be prepared to spend some cash. It seems like you are probably looking for something a little more basic, though. You should be able to find something basic that is used for under $100 and even some new stuff for under $150.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.