National HS Mountain Biking League

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

So apparently the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) was established just last year and already they’re picking up heavyweight sponsors like SRAM and Specialized. Despite the name, the org. is focused on mountain biking from the beginning. Some quotes from a press release I saw this week:

[quote]Matt Fritzinger, the executive director of NICA, stated, “We are most grateful to SRAM for showing their confidence in our ability to
      bring great mountain biking opportunities to high school students across the USA. There is a surge of interest and support for the NICA
      program, and with the solid backing of SRAM we are in a great position to achieve our vision.â€

I just hope "liability" does not stop high schools from doing this.

"trek7k" wrote

I wish something like this existed back when I was in HS…

That’s what I think every single time I hear about the progress these leagues are making

"Goo" wrote

[quote="trek7k":146t5i6k]I wish something like this existed back when I was in HS…

That’s what I think every single time I hear about the progress these leagues are making[/quote:146t5i6k]

i wish i would’ve been in the right HS the one i went to didnt have a mtn. bike league but the schools in the wealthy parts of town did.

i tried to get MTB club started at my school and had better than 15 kids who wanted in but the principal shot it down right away…

i got some explaination that in the state of GA there are all these rules and things you have to go to and people who have to go for it and blah blah blah, after explaining this my principal told us that it was simply to much time and effort to be spent on something as silly as riding a bike.

i would love to see this take off(even tho im a couple months away from being done with HS) but from what i’ve seen there isnt much respect for riding a bike…at least at my school.

"FBTrek321" wrote

i tried to get MTB club started at my school and had better than 15 kids who wanted in but the principal shot it down right away…

i got some explaination that in the state of GA there are all these rules and things you have to go to and people who have to go for it and blah blah blah, after explaining this my principal told us that it was simply to much time and effort to be spent on something as silly as riding a bike.

i would love to see this take off(even tho im a couple months away from being done with HS) but from what i’ve seen there isnt much respect for riding a bike…at least at my school.

Well, ya’ll should just meet up and ride bikes anyway. Who says you need to be a club and have it be an official school event and all that? Dang, reminds me of why I always HATED high school and had NO school spirit. Don’t get me wrong, I got good grades… but I hated the whole concept of high school.

but now I’m out and I’ll never have to worry about it again! And college isn’t as bad… but it’s harder

College is about a million times better than high school! I just graduated from Georgia Southern University. Well…actually, I’ve been out for almost 3 years already. Doesn’t seem like it. College was an absolute blast. I miss it sometimes. The friends and memories I made there will be with me for life. I even met my wife there.

Life after college is good too though. I can finally fund my hobbies! And I still hang out with my college buddies – I even worked with one of them for a while.

A word of advice for anyone about to go to school: learn how to study. I never ever studied in HS and got all A’s and a few B’s. Didn’t even study for finals. Honestly, I really didn’t even know how to study. In college everyone stresses how you have to study. So I would study for a half hour or so before a test, more than I ever did in HS, and I thought that was enough. WRONG. I got C’s and B’s the first year, had a 2.3 GPA and lost the HOPE Scholarship. You have to study throughout the semester, not just right before a test. I figured it out eventually. Luckily, I didn’t fail anything and didn’t have to retake anything before I figured it out. Once your GPA goes down, it’s really hard to bring it back up again. I ended up w/a 3.46 GPA by the time I graduated (I worked pretty damn hard the last two years of school). You REALLY do want a good GPA when you start interviewing for jobs. My little sister is in college now. She struggled in HS, and had to study to keep decent grades. In the long run, it helped her – she’s doing better in college than I did. My wife is the same way.

And go to class!!!!! Took me a while to figure that out too.

Okay – that’s your daily advice from a guy that learned the hard way haha.

But seriously, college is awesome. It’s not at all like the movies. I don’t drink and still had an awesome time for 4 years straight (I stayed at GSU the whole time – took summer class for two summers, had an internship for the 3rd). Thisand thisis how I spent my free time. 😃

Yeh, studying is kind of sucky. I’m trying to focus on homework right now… It’s hard. But planning a long ride for this afternoon, so that should be sweet.

Dang man, those photos are intense!

http://norcalmtb.org/teams/index.htm
      On a roll here in Nor Cal. Fees are reasonable, talent pools are motivated and the lawyers haven’t glombed on yet. It all starts from having motivated parents whom volunteer their time, resources and talents to make it happen and overcome the barriers set in place by the school districts.
      All training rides are done under adult coach or parent supervision…courses are all XC oriented.
      In my HS days we had surf teams under the auspices of NSSA (National Scholastic Surfing Assoc) with a format and governing body that transferred with us into college/univ. NSSA still going today after 30yrs….
      Hopefully the HS MTB scene has staying power and continues to grow.

"FBTrek321" wrote

That too bad. In the conservative part of Viginia I grew up in, I couldn’t imagine that they would embrace mountain biking in high school either. From the size of the spare tire a lot of kids are carrying these days, you would think they would want to do anything to encourage kids to exercise. Not every kid is cut out for football, track, etc. Sounds like you would almost need to have parents involved and pushing your cause.

i had my dad involved, as much as he could at the time he was working full time and going back to college, heck i even had a teacher involved and that teacher happened to be friends with the owner of a local bike shop!

i had everything set, but honestly my school is more focused on football than anything. actually i take that back this year my school has been wasting all our time and tons of money we dont have to enfore ID badges, they say its a safety thing…

the focus of what seems like all GA schools is way off…

Hehe, I went to HS here in GA and I can understand what you’re saying. In my day we couldn’t wear hats inside the school building and said yes and no ma’am to our teachers. GA schools may be near the bottom nationally in terms of academics but by golly our students are respectful. 😀

"trek7k" wrote

but by golly our students are respectful. 😀

Haha, not anymore they aren’t (according to my wife… she’s a teacher….)

"Goo" wrote

[quote="trek7k":21u8pz98] but by golly our students are respectful. 😀

Haha, not anymore they aren’t (according to my wife… she’s a teacher….)[/quote:21u8pz98]

she is right on, I have been teaching in GA for 4 years and have 9 more years in MA. It all comes down to parents.

I tried to organize an outing club (bike, hike, ski, etc) at two schools. I had kids, other teachers and parents wanting it. All shot down because of the liability issues.

Before I started college I watched a video, "If There is a Will, There is an A!" Really helped out, had mostly A’s and B’s in college. In HS I was lucky to get a B, mostly C’s.

I wish my High School had a MTB team. But i can see why they don’t because there is maybe 3 people out of 1,500 who are into MTB. Also many schools are cutting sports due to budget cuts so now is the wrong time to try and have more HS with MTB teams.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.