My new hobby – trail riding…in my truck

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Do we not have an off topic forum?

Over the past few months, I ditched my commuter car for a truck and it has turned into a new addiction. It’s a 2002 Chevy Blazer ZR2 (4×4 offroad package with lift, bigger tires, lower gearing, etc). I’ve done a few small mods to it and took it on its first real trail ride this past weekend. It’s like mountain biking but with 4 wheels and a motor! 😆

The trail is called Peters Mill Run. A lot of the parts would make for some SICK mountain biking. The whole time I was driving through, I was thinking it would be the PERFECT setting for an enduro race…tech climbs, long DH runs, lots of rocks and mud. There are a few mud holes that take up the whole width of the trail that would make for a pain in the butt but I bet if we had a dry spell for a bit, they would be primo.

I know we all enjoy playing in the dirt so I figured I would share some pics and a vid I made of my trek through the GW National Forest:

[url:2mxunxzu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9pPfxHtvw0&list=UU-mv6GTkwT1CXGW0M97tvFA[/url:2mxunxzu]

Fun stuff! I had a Blazer of about the same year. They will go pretty much where you want them to! Only problem for me was when I put the AT tires on it, I went from crap fuel mileage to even worse!

I moved up to a 2008 Siverado 2500 with the ZX7 package. The truck is great off road, if a bit long. And I’ve pulled my camper into some crazy places with it on back country expeditions. Amazingly I’ve never broken an axle on the camper…

Nice, that’s awesome! I went rode along with a friend and we went rock crawling a couple of weeks ago, it was definitely fun times!

Although if you think mountain biking is expensive, don’t even begin to think about getting into offroading seriously!

Seriously! I’m near the Rubicon trail and you should see some of the rigs heading there. People put some crazy money into those rides! And then break a bunch of parts along the way 😆

"gar29" wrote

Seriously! I’m near the Rubicon trail and you should see some of the rigs heading there. People put some crazy money into those rides! And then break a bunch of parts along the way 😆

And then on top of that you have to fill the tank once or twice for every day you go out!

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="gar29":2crv3gal]Seriously! I’m near the Rubicon trail and you should see some of the rigs heading there. People put some crazy money into those rides! And then break a bunch of parts along the way 😆

And then on top of that you have to fill the tank once or twice for every day you go out![/quote:2crv3gal]
      I will stick with the bike. Much cheaper!

"mtbgreg1" wrote

And then on top of that you have to fill the tank once or twice for every day you go out!

That’s the truth! I get somewhere between 14 and 15 mpg. I used to drive a Honda Civic that would get mid 30s lol. I haven’t even dared calculating my mpg after adding the Thule basket. I don’t drive during the week anymore and it’s cheaper for me to just rent a compact car for long trips 😆

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":3oi61opc]And then on top of that you have to fill the tank once or twice for every day you go out!

That’s the truth! I get somewhere between 14 and 15 mpg. I used to drive a Honda Civic that would get mid 30s lol. I haven’t even dared calculating my mpg after adding the Thule basket. I don’t drive during the week anymore and it’s cheaper for me to just rent a compact car for long trips 😆[/quote:3oi61opc]
      Must be nice! I get 12mpg highway on my truck. 8 if I’m towing my boat or trailer! It’s actually funny, I have a 19′ boat and a 30′ trailer, but get the same mpg no matter which I’m pulling!

Off-road driving is fun. Now even more trails will be accessible with your truck.
      Reminded me about driving Maxima up on Monarch Pass. Wish I had a bit more clearance in some tight spots. It survived with no issues though.
      Thanks for sharing.

"stumpyfsr" wrote

Reminded me about driving Maxima up on Monarch Pass. Wish I had a bit more clearance in some tight spots. It survived with no issues though.

A few years ago I was following my GPS and found myself on a fire road that was a little more involved than dirt and gravel in the Shennendoahs…in my Scion xB that was lowered 2 inches. I made it all the way to the last 50 yards, didn’t see a baby head sticking out and lost a side skirt but everything else survived. 😆

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="stumpyfsr":2fjq4z38]Reminded me about driving Maxima up on Monarch Pass. Wish I had a bit more clearance in some tight spots. It survived with no issues though.

A few years ago I was following my GPS and found myself on a fire road that was a little more involved than dirt and gravel in the Shennendoahs…in my Scion xB that was lowered 2 inches. I made it all the way to the last 50 yards, didn’t see a baby head sticking out and lost a side skirt but everything else survived. 😆[/quote:2fjq4z38]
      😃 See, we don’t actually need a fuel-sucking 4×4 to go there and have fun. I like the saying: "The better off-road vehicle you have, the longer hike back for towing would be". Well, a proper truck still much better then lowered city car.

"gar29" wrote

It’s actually funny, I have a 19′ boat and a 30′ trailer, but get the same mpg no matter which I’m pulling!

Everybody knows that boats bend the laws of physics to cost the owner as much as possible. It doesn’t stop when it leaves the water, it just had to change the ways in which it costs you more. You ought to see what they can cost you when you put them in the air.

Posted via Tapatalk while doing 60 in my car and staring at my phone.

"schwim" wrote

[quote="gar29":3s5agf8h]It’s actually funny, I have a 19′ boat and a 30′ trailer, but get the same mpg no matter which I’m pulling!

Everybody knows that boats bend the laws of physics to cost the owner as much as possible. It doesn’t stop when it leaves the water, it just had to change the ways in which it costs you more. You ought to see what they can cost you when you put them in the air.

Posted via Tapatalk while doing 60 in my car and staring at my phone.[/quote:3s5agf8h]
      Ain’t that the truth! And forget it if you have to pay to store the darn thing!

My lowered Civic Si has seen WAY more off-pavement use than most lifted and tricked out trucks/jeeps on the streets.

I even got it out of the grass-parking-lot-turned-mud-pit at the 2010 Fools Gold. Lotsa folks had to get pulled out of there 😆

When I was in highschool I went trout fishing in the North GA Mtns and forded a few creeks with my ’98 Camry. Bottomed it out in a few places, but not too bad, and no damage. Didn’t even lose an oxen or anything. That was an adventure for sure.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.