My Mongoose Blackcomb,the transformation begins…

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I picked up an $80 Wal-Mart Mongoose Blackcomb maybe 5 weeks ago from a used bike shop and loved the way I felt perched over the pedals,it just felt right.I since rode a Jamis Parker and loved it at first but the more I test rode the Parker after riding the Blackcomb the Parker felt worse and didn’t help my confidence,frame size may have been too small.I had the cash for the parker and rode it last week and just couldn’t do it…I decided to put a bit of money in the Blackcomb until I find that perfect bike.

I opted for a pair of 28" wide 3" riser bars,Avid FR-5 brake levers,a set of Shimano Alivio 8 speed shifters and capped then off with a set of ODI Yeti grips.I’d have liked to get the lock-ons with the blue collars but that option wasn’t available.I got to test them out for 3 miles riding with a bad tooth infectuion but damn are they nice and responsive! I feel as though a small flick of the wrist would be all I’d need to tweek the bike one way or the other or whip it in the air.The 3" risers set me perfectly where I need to be for drops and teeter totters and ladder bridges so I’m lovin it right now.

Still learning the cool settings on my camera my girlfriend got me for Christmas so sorry for the sub par pics…more to come tomorrow!

For anyone that knows me well I love DSM’s and the Mitsubishi 4G63 engine so here is my tribute…

Very cool, I have a buddy that bought that bike for his kid. He loves it. Seems to have a fair number of positive reviews also!

its cool to see another comb rider on here! I think these bikes are underated for the price you can buy them used! I love mine, its feels great for me.

For $80 I couldn’t pass it up.With some upgraded parts it could make a really nice bike and I intend to beat on it pretty hard.I’ve had to re-pack the crank bearings with grease but other than that it feels nice and solid.

I’ve also put a set of cheap aluminum platforms on the cranks,I couldn’t stand the pedals that came on it but I’m not sure if those were stock or the previous owner replaced them.

I got to ride another 12 miles or so with the bar,shifter,and brake lever combo and it feels wonderful on the faster sections of the trail and I have alot more control in the slower stuff as well.

I may look into a new fork if the tax return is decent enough but there’s a used one around that would give me another inch of travel if not.

More pics soon!

Nice bike, I love the way these look.

After riding with you Chili,and seeing the nice one you built,I have to say that and the price were the main reasons I picked it up. 😎

I took it to Santos this past weekend and hit the 3 footer,feels very nice coming down but feels like I hit the limit of rear travel too.Feels excellent on the skinnies,the short stem and wide bars make it turn very nicely and I actually like the way the frame sits with the longer travel fork.

It needs some hydraulic discs and a rear shock and it should be pretty well done,wheelset one day but for now it’s riding great!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.