My health insurance provider is giving away mountain bikes

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum My health insurance provider is giving away mountain bikes

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

So I logged into my health insurance provider’s website (Humana) the other day and the phrase "mountain bike" caught my eye. It turns out I can earn something called Vitality Bucks for making healthy choices (eating better, exercising, getting regular check-ups). Those "bucks" can then be redeemed for stuff like mountain bikes, including Trek 820 and 3500 models.

When I saw the bike selection my first thought was these guys don’t know anything about mountain bikes. Then I remembered one of the questions on my health survey: Do you regularly participate in "extreme sports"? Apparently I lost points for saying yes and that’s probably why none of the bikes on this list are very gravity-oriented.

Just 31,000 more points and I’m taking home that Trek 820. 😀

Seriously, though, it’s great Humana is motivating folks to live healthy lifestyles and using mountain bikes to do it. I’d love to see lots of people earn these!

Forget that, health insurance is screwed up and unaffordable enough as it is, now they are buying toys for people as well? BS.

"musikron" wrote

Forget that, health insurance is screwed up and unaffordable enough as it is, now they are buying toys for people as well? BS.

They can buy a cheap Trek for a lot less than the cost of open heart surgery and the meds and other crap that go along with it.

So Jeff, realistically, how hard is it to earn enough points to get one?

Believe me, I’m the first one to complain about the cost of health insurance since I’ve been buying it for myself for the past several years. 😢

However, I do believe healthy lifestyles can help lower the cost for everyone. To me it’s frustrating to pay the same rate as someone my age who is overweight and doesn’t exercise and has all kinds of health issues because of it. If there’s a way to motivate people to get healthy I’m all for it, especially if it lowers my rate. 😀

"dgaddis" wrote

So Jeff, realistically, how hard is it to earn enough points to get one?

It’s hard to say but my initial impression is it would take a long time to earn enough points for a bike. So no, they aren’t just handing out free bikes to everyone.

"jeff" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":186i7ez7]So Jeff, realistically, how hard is it to earn enough points to get one?

It’s hard to say but my initial impression is it would take a long time to earn enough points for a bike. So no, they aren’t just handing out free bikes to everyone.[/quote:186i7ez7]

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Hm I wonder why would a health insurance company do this.

Dont they consider bike riding a risk-factor while purchasing the insurance in case you do ride a bike on a regular basis. Because if you crash , they are the ones who will have to pay up for medical costs etc.

I would understand if a bicycle insurance company, such as, lets say Markel or Velosurance or any other would do this , but a health insurance company?
      Something does not add up here for me. Are there any underwater stones to be aware of?

"roadbeast" wrote

Hm I wonder why would a health insurance company do this.

Any decision an insurance company makes is based on data (a ton of it) and money. I guess they found bikers cost less to take care of than couch surfers. 😀

"jeff" wrote

[quote="roadbeast":x5ixjthp]Hm I wonder why would a health insurance company do this.

Any decision an insurance company makes is based on data (a ton of it) and money. I guess they found bikers cost less to take care of than couch surfers. 😀[/quote:x5ixjthp]

Because they know couch riders are hard core. My couch is a fully rigid single-speed.

Wait, isn’t couch surfing when you travel and stay with random people for free? I think I meant being a couch potato. Or channel surfing.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.