My a$$ hurts

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

What is a good seat for under $50 as I dont want to throw a lot of money into an older bike when I want to get a new full suspension with in the next 2 years.

I have a WTB saddle which is comfortable. I know my wife paid less than $50 for it. (Christmas present)

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/post … ply&t=3071

"IATyler" wrote

What is a good seat for under $50 as I dont want to throw a lot of money into an older bike when I want to get a new full suspension with in the next 2 years.

A few places not to skimp…shorts w/chamois and your saddle.

Not to blow your budget..but really good cycling shorts/bibs (roadie) IMHO starts above $150…MTB Shorts with insert are $100 and up. Saddles..for MTB, I’d suggest looking into the WTB line and at the Rocket V or VIGO models. Range from $60 for a Rocket V race to $180 for a carbon SLT VIGO. If you pop for a good saddle now, you can swing it to your new bike in a few years.

The combo of good shorts plus saddle will make the next 2 years..easier on the under carriage.

I am a big fan of the WTB Rocket saddle but I have found that they are not very durable. Mine always managed to tear somehow (I wonder if my 240lb butt had something to do with it??) A WTB saddle may last for 2 years, just don’t expect it to stay pretty. Oh yeah, you can’t underestimate the power of the padded chamois. It’s easy to spend $100+ on a nice pair of mtb shorts but you can find good deals online. Sizing may be a problem though…Fox tends to run a little small for example.

"cujo" wrote

It’s easy to spend $100+ on a nice pair of mtb shorts but you can find good deals online. Sizing may be a problem though…Fox tends to run a little small for example.

What online shops/vendors would you recommend when looking for the deals?

Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I’m just getting into the online world of MTB, so I appreciate the guidance!

You can also check out the "Serfas" brand saddles they are comfortable and affordable (depending on the model).

I also like the "greenfishadventuresports.com" website. They usually have good deals and I have often found them to be lower than pricepoint and jensonusa on alot of items.

I got this one on sale for $25.00 at performance Bike and it is insanely comfortable:
      http://www.amazon.com/FortE-Forte-Pro-R … B0017OA8BO

I got this one on sale for $25.00 at performance Bike and it is insanely comfortable:

Is that a one size fits all,or does it come in different sizes???I got sized and fitted for a specialized seat,but it felt too big.Does anyone else size there seats or do you just buy the standard size?I dont know if I just got used to the standard size and didnt know any better when I finally got a sized seat.Anyway,I put the one that came on my stumpjumper back on and am content with it,but still wonder if you guys are running fitted seats or not.

One size…I didn’t even know they made sized saddles…learn something every day I guess.

We’ll have to meet up for a ride and I’ll let you test-sit it! 😆

"steve32300" wrote

Is that a one size fits all,or does it come in different sizes???I got sized and fitted for a specialized seat,but it felt too big.Does anyone else size there seats or do you just buy the standard size?I dont know if I just got used to the standard size and didnt know any better when I finally got a sized seat.Anyway,I put the one that came on my stumpjumper back on and am content with it,but still wonder if you guys are running fitted seats or not.

How’d they "size" you? I’ve heard of getting the bike adjusted/fitted using measurements but never really heard of a measurement process for saddles so I’m interested. I have always thought it was more of a personal preference type of thing and that’s whay companies made saddles of different widths and lengths. Did they meaure your sit bones or something to get the width that you would need? How’d they pick the length? Was it an actual measurement process or more of a "try these and see which you like more" type of process.

Steve, maybe you’re confused and you were actually at the proctologist’s office rather than the LBS? 😮

"maddslacker" wrote

Steve, maybe you’re confused and you were actually at the proctologist’s office rather than the LBS? 😮

I’m really worried about that one day they come in and tell me they’re gonna do the check. I’m gonna go find the chick with the smallest fingers in the doctor’s office for that one. 😆 With my luck, I’ll get some former offensive lineman with coke can sized fingers for a doctor. 😮

Oh my god,you guys are too much,hahahahaha.I’ve got a story that’s gonna freak ya’all out.I had to get more than a proctologist visit,I had ulcerative colitis and had to have my colon removed several years ago,the whole colon,not just part of it like alot of people do.You should have seen the seat I was riding back then,it was one of those huge cushy seats with the huge springs in it.It was sooo imbarrasing that I got rid of it before I was comfortable enough to go back to a normal seat.So if your down about gettin on your bike,you had better get goin cause I’m just lookin for complainers to give a good lashin for not ridin.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Alright,enough with the graphics,hahahahaha.

How’d they "size" you? I’ve heard of getting the bike adjusted/fitted using measurements but never really heard of a measurement process for saddles so I’m interested. I have always thought it was more of a personal preference type of thing and that’s whay companies made saddles of different widths and lengths. Did they meaure your sit bones or something to get the width that you would need? How’d they pick the length? Was it an actual measurement process or more of a "try these and see which you like more" type of process.

Specialized has a seat sizer,and yes they size you by your sit bones.They got this board that has a layer of foam on it and it has markings like a shoe sizer.when you sit on it,it leaves impressions from your sit bones and they determine what size you are by the impressions in the foam.Trek has on too,but they use a gel instead of the foam sit board.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.