Muscle recovery

Tagged: 

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

Anybody have some suggestions on how best to recover when you wake up the next morning and your legs are aching? I mean aching like every step hurts. Clearly "prevention" would have been helpful. Beer and advil only get you so far…

I hate to have to take "off days" to just sit and wait for healing to kick in. What can I do to expedite the process? Hot soaks in the tub? Sports massage? Gin and tonics? Just kidding (about the massage)

Y

Your body is telling you it needs protein.

Try a drink like Hammer Recoverite immediately after your ride.

Then eggs, meat, supplements: whatever your favorite delivery method, get some protein in you.

a chocolate milk and small bag of beef jerkey within 1/2 hour of riding got rid of the pain for me.

Yeah, I forgot about milk. That’s a good one too. (lot of calories though, if you’re older and that matters)

"maddslacker" wrote

Yeah, I forgot about milk. That’s a good one too. (lot of calories though, if you’re older and that matters)

Skim milk should be decent.

Also, cottage cheese is pretty good on the calorie:protein ratio (depending on the fat%.) Unfortunately, peanut butter is not.

Thanks for the responses.

I do use recoverite from Hammer Nutrition but not always right after riding or exercising. I’ll keep that in mind.

What is a good way to recover when the pain has already set in, i.e. prevention not an option?

Y

If you don’t prevent it, then you’re looking at rest and recovery regardless of what you eat and drink.

Keep in mind that any exercise regimen includes some days off for rest and recovery. Skipping will be counter-productive.

I personally haven’t tried it but some friends says The Stick does wonders.

The Stick??? Never heard of it. What’s that?

Its a device for "rolling" muscles to relieve soreness and help strech.

Along with the previous suggestions, I’ve always found that after a hard workout (along with cool-down stretches) going for a quick 10-20 min. stroll or a very easy ride every now and again also really helps ease the pain and reduces the stiffness for a while. It sucks until things get warmed up, but I find it’s better than sitting around not being able to move very well.

You don’t have to be bed-bound for recovery to take place, but you do need to rest those muscles until they’re healed. Whatever you do, don’t push too hard before your muscles have had a chance to repair themselves. It takes a lot longer to recover if you keep injuring them.

Cheers,

Loaf

blueberries work really well.

The rollers do work to ease the discomfort and helps the blood get to the places that need it. I thought it was Blackberries but I quess they have the same anti-oxyidents. A black or blueberry milk shake with a burger should keep my weight up. 😄 Later,

dont forget the large order of fries.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

Its a device for "rolling" muscles to relieve soreness and help strech.

Like a foam roller?

I have one and the thing is AWESOME at getting out knots in muscles…a bit painful, but awesome none-the-less.

Its the same concept but thinner and harder. More like a skinny rolling pin. I would have to guess more painful than all but the hardest foam rollers.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

Its the same concept but thinner and harder. More like a skinny rolling pin. I would have to guess more painful than all but the hardest foam rollers.

Ah, gotcha. I heard it called the "Tiger Tail" before, but the Stick is a new name to me.

"lsuche1996" wrote

I hate to have to take "off days" to just sit and wait for healing to kick in. What can I do to expedite the process?

If you don’t want to take a zero on your training calendar, trying lap swimming. Seriously.

[url:hre05a4f]http://www.poweringmuscles.com/article.php?id=55[/url:hre05a4f]

Found the above article about diet, nutrition, and muscle recovery. Thought it was interesting- recovery begins BEFORE activity begins! Who would have known? Start putting healthy and useful food in your body one day prior to a race or planning to ride. Also, continue replacing the nutrients on the trail as you ride and after you ride as well. See the below article for helpful foods to eat.

[url:hre05a4f]http://www.livestrong.com/article/286269-food-to-repair-a-muscle/[/url:hre05a4f]

The article above at livestrong is also interesting and gives what food your body needs to help repair muscles. According to another article on this site, the following vitamins are most beneficial for muscle repair: Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Copper,and zinc. If you go to this website it has a lot of helpful information related to diet, nutrition, muscle repair, and muscle building.

Sorry for all the reading- hope that helps! 😎

That’s lactic acid build up. I’m not convinced any of the diet suggestions actually help, but unlikely to hurt. Also hydrate.
      Good news is day 2 after will be worse then day one, but day 3 is much nicer. Get back out then. The next recovery will be easier, even if you worked as hard or harder. 😃

Lowfat chocolate milk.

Or beer.

That’s what I use. Works every time.

GNC’s AmpWhey 60 protein powder is a fantastic option if you’re in need of a low calorie, high protein, super concentrated source. It tastes great too. If biking is all you do, then it might not be the best option. However, if you do resistance training and things like trail running in addition to biking, then it’s a great option. All those other things like beef jerky, tuna, milk, eggs, etc. are all great supplementary options as well. Just make sure to space your protein intake throughout the day and get a good helping of it within 45-60 min after you finish your ride.

"8valvegrowl" wrote

Lowfat chocolate milk

Go whole milk, maybe even cool pasteurization, NOT homogenized. This keep all the nutrients and helpful "micro-organisms" in.

"Rolling" or massaging the muscles helps get the lactic acid broken up to move out of your muscles. this helps tremendously. A sports massage is a good thing if you’ve got someone willing or affordable. Why do you think pros get a massage after every ride?

Massage Parlor, Beer. What else is needed? Oh yeah more Beer. 😄 Later,

Creatine before the ride and creatine and protien after the ride work for me. Almost no fatigue. Also as another user suggested swimming on off days. Awesome!

I get pretty sore, but like everyone else I suggest a protein and hydrate. I have used two different products. But in the end, within the 30 minute window of the ride ending, at least 10 grams of protein, (7gram in a serving of peanuts or peanut butter, 6 grams in an egg. just check some labels) and I like to drink 1/2 water and sports drinks. Makes the sports drink go further, I think there are a little thick anyways. I have been taken a product called "Dark Matter" and reviewed it in the nutrition section. I find that getting hydrated and at least the 10 grams of protein helps. And I not a yoga fan, however in the military stretching is really important during training. Usually twice as long as you would be for you start. And sometimes a quick spin around the block will loosen things up a bit.

I have a Cheap and easy way to help just a suggestion is all not saying what you have to do.
      In the army we do this before and after PT, and during deployments.

Bananas!

The Potassium in the bananas help with muscle soreness and fatigue. Eat 2 a day or 1 depending on how much potassium your body needs.

Stretch, Before you ride and immediately after you will notice a huge difference.
      Drink water or gatorade to keep hydrated also the gatorade/ powerade helps replenish electrolytes which keeps your body retaining its valuable water levels.

Last but not Least, Sleep.
      Your body needs rest, that is the real way to recover.

I hope this helps, sure helps me.

Do you eat bananas with people watching or in private? Just asking. 😄 Later,

Viewing 28 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.