MTB Racing Classifications and Types???

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

:?: I’m looking at a site about MTB racing and I see so many different classifacations I’m totally confused, HELP! 😮

1. Is Gravity the same as Downhill?
      2. Just how many different types of XC racing is there:
      3. What’s something called 4X?
      4. Is Freeride a type of race or more a stunters series?

LOL, My knowledge is so old school, it’s pre-school, when it comes to racing, we had only ridged MTB’s and weither you were a Novice or a Pro you raced the same course, the Expert’s and Pro’s just did more laps of the course. So forgive this old guy for getting REALLY confused! 😳

there’s alot of things to process and things are done different ways and called different things.

as far as i know Gravity or Gravity assisted is just what they call Downhill pretty much anywhere besides the states. I also know its call gravity in the latin countries where they get all suited up in aerodynamic leathers and go a million miles an hour down the side of a volcano haha. The one I found interesting and they do it at NATS at Deer Valley and i’m sure all over are the down hill Chainless races where that really take the chain off and its nothing but gravity getting you there.

as far as XC goes i’m not so sure I know the longer races are called Enduros or Marathons but its pretty much XC riding. Theres also the Super D which is a mix of XC and DH and which is usually the fun run for everyone.

Freeride is a little weird. Its more a test of skill and style. the corses have cliffs , ramps, crazy jumps whatever they want to throw at these crazy guys. the Objective is pretty much to get down the hill smoothly or at the very least in one piece. I think the route you pick to get down is pretty critical to points and sometimes they may be timed but I think its usually about style and how easily you can get down.

4x, I think the call it moutaincross abroad. Is quite similar to BMX or motorcross. It starts with four riders (thus the 4x) and they start at a gate like BMX and race through a track i’ve heard of it head to head but i think its usually one rider at a time and they time it the fastest one wins obviously and like BMX or MX they top half of each moto (or heat) moves on until there’s on man standing.

Hope that helps and I hope someone will correct me if any of this is wrong.

now lets hit the trails!

cjm

1. Generally, when I hear the term gravity, it is used to encompass gravity powered riding styles including downhill, freeride, slopestyle and 4X. A lot of people I know use it to dissociate from the racing crowd. Something like, "I ride gravity fed."

2. Not really really qualified to answer anything about XC.

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moK1SGk8bXA . That’s 4X. I was there for that one. It was awesome.

4. There’s not really a freeride race. Freeride is more a philosophy of riding than anything else. IMBA defines it as this "Freeriding is a style of mountain biking that celebrates the challenges and spirit of technical riding and downhilling." The Premier event for freeriding is Red Bull Rampage.

Gravity is a general term used to encompass the extreme forms of riding. Gravity aspect of mtb is; DH, Freeride, Slopestyle, Dual Slalom, 4-Cross, and Dirt Jumping/Street. Events include the DH races, Redbull Rampage, Crankworx, DS races, 4X races (because no one races DS anymore), 26TRIX, and the Nissan Qashqai events.

I hope this helps eleviate your confusion.

"bjjoondo" wrote

2. Just how many different types of XC racing is there:

XC racing classifications seem to be getting a little out of hand these days with new categories being created based on bike hardware (single speed, for example) and rider types (clydesdales, for example).

On top of that there is XXC (extreme or ultra cross country), short track (XC around a spectator-friendly short loop), and of course regular old XC.

😮 LOL, well I may still be as "confused" but I’m now enlightend, thanks to all for the info., it’s appreciated. I know I’m not a DH or Freeride type, I could see myself getting really hurt doing that 😳 I guess I’ll just stick with XC/Trailriding and watch you all do those amazing tricks and insane downhill runs! Don’t think I will ever race again, seems like it’s gotten WAYYYYY Serious since the early days, specialization has taken over, I’m to laid back to be a CAT racer 😉 Again thanks!! 😀

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.