MTB holidays in Colorado

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

we are a group of spanish bikers and we will be visiting Colorado for the Breck Epic in August. We will arrive one week before the race starts and we are looking for plans for that week.

We don´t want to go very far from Breckenridge, maximum 3-4 hours by car, and we are looking a place for mountain biking, hiking, having some beers, etc. We would also like to ride our bike in high altitude, I don´t know if there is any 14er we can ride.

Thanks in advance!!!

Staying in the high country is a good idea in August.  3-4 hours from Breck covers most of the state, so your options are limitless.  While in Breckenridge it is hard to beat Kennosha Pass to Breckenridge.  14er- Pikes Peak/ Elk Park.  Monarch Crest is an absolute classic high country ride.

I’m sure you want to spend as little time in a car as possible, but if you’re willing to drive, the town of Fruita is 3 hours west of Breckenridge, and Moab, Utah is a little farther than that.  It’s a pretty drive, at least.  Moab has probably the most famous trail system in the United States, and the riding out of Fruita is very similar, and less crowded.  Of course, if you’re traveling internationally to race, you may have already been there. 🙂

Aspen and Crested Butte are also in your range, and though I have no experience riding there, they are beautiful towns worth visiting for the scenery alone, and I have no doubt the many local bike shops would be happy to make recommendations.

Muke is right about the riding, but Fruita in August is brutal.  Crested Butte is Gods gift to Mtn Bikers and August is a good time- Doctor Park is a must.  The drive is long, but worth it!!

Oh right, August, good point!

14ers here are wilderness. Bikes are not permitted.

monarch crest out of Salida (high alpine)

Crested Butte!! is arguably the birth place of MTB.(High Alpine)

Closer to Breck check out Blackhawk area and or Floyd Hill!!

if you want beers pre and post ride from brewery at trial head—a fun day— i would suggest going into Golden, Co(Front Range), park at New Terrain Brewing, drink, and ride the trails right there — enjoy!!

I was just in CO for a family vacation. I wasn’t motivated to ride but I have a couple observations that may help.

1) You can ride to the top of at least 2 14ers, Mount Evans (soon to be renamed Mount Blue Sky) and Pike’s Peak. Both have roads to the top but I’m sure better on a road bike. Pike’s Peak is near Colorado Springs.

1a) Remember that it thunderstorms every afternoon on the top of these mountains. Above 11,500 feet in elevation you will be the tallest thing on the mountain because there will be no trees. So don’t be a lightning rod. If you go to the top of 14ers plan to leave the summit by very early afternoon. That means if you want to hike Grays and Torreys Peaks you start hiking from Georgetown at 6:30am.

1b) I am not sure why Georgetown is the preferred starting point for Grays and Torreys Peaks, we went to Loveland Pass twice and it looks like an easier hike from there.

2) I stayed in Keystone, which has a bike park and gondola access and I visited Breckenridge. Breckenridge was fancier but it was mobbed with people. I saw so many bikes coming down the hill and having to stop for people just walking up the mountain and bikers who were sitting down on the descents. In Keystone, I never actually saw anyone come down the mountain because the lift didn’t open until 10 but people had more serious bikes and kit. On that observation alone, I would avoid Breck bike park in favor of Keystone. Can’t comment on any other parks.

3) We were in CO for 5 days. Two days had very little driving but the three with driving didn’t bother me much. The views were stunning the entire time.

3b) The height of the mountains is almost confusing. Assuming you land in Denver, mountains dominate the horizon to the west but you are already at 5,000+ ft. So a 14,ooo ft mountain doesn’t look as big as you would expect. Then when you are at a lake at 11,000 ft a 14,000 ft mountain looks like 3,000 ft. I guess it makes sense but it felt weird to look out the window of the condo and think, if you kidnapped me and I woke up here and you said we were in Shenandoah Virginia I would believe you until I walked up two flights of stairs and got winded.

4) Elevation – you will be at minimum 5,000 ft but there are resorts at 9,000 plus if you want to get acclimated. It looks like Breck Epic takes place between 9,500 and 12,000 ft.

Monsoon season is here ahead of schedule.

Forgot about a few 14’s that are not designated wilderness. Dunno why I think of the wilderness designated peaks and forget Pike’s and a couple others…

vapidoscar is spot on with a few things, such as base altitude. Plan on acclimation time to avoid altitude sickness any time high elevations are in the works. Hospital visits here are absurd in cost!

Frankly, I prefer riding forest vs. alpine cause shade! Alpine is full time direct sun.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.