MTB Geometry issues

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I love my bike, and when I bought I wasn’t really sure how a proper fit should feel. The last couple of times I had it out I felt like my hands where way too far forward. Its a 08 HiFi Deluxe with all of the stock trimmings. Im thinking I need a shorter stem and possibly role the handlebars back a little bit. Am I on the right train of thought for this?

After talking to a few people I decided to go from 100mm to 70mm.
      Picked up this puppy, should be here Friday.

Im hoping it will do the job.

Ya know, I ended up with the 19" frame for my Jamis Trail-X 3.0 instead of the 21" frame cause I felt "to streched" to the bars. After getting in a good ride, I still feel like I’m straining, I noticed that my arms have NO BEND at the elbows so I too am thinking of getting a shorter stem.

With the 21" inch frame I only had about 1 inch I could pull the front wheel off the ground in to the crotch area, the 19" close to 3" but it seems I have really short arms for 6′ tall guy with a 31" inseam. Also thought about seeing if they could add a 1/2" spacer for just a tad more height and cut 2 inches off the end of the bars somehow. I’ve got to mesaure the stem and see what size it is, how short can you go and still be ok handling wise??

I also ride a hifi (07 model) and went with a 70mm stem (exact stem you posted – race face atlas) and love the way the bike handles now.

I think you’ll be happy.

"Jason_B." wrote

I also ride a hifi (07 model) and went with a 70mm stem (exact stem you posted – race face atlas) and love the way the bike handles now.

I think you’ll be happy.

No kidding man! I just got off the local free ride trail and I feel sooooooo much safer on the bike now. Now I realize that I was going over the handle bars so much was cause I had to lean forward to make any kind of appreciable turn. Climbing was interesting though, that front tire kept wanting to come up on me. Overall, great upgrade.

"Code_Rage" wrote

Climbing was interesting though, that front tire kept wanting to come up on me.

Yeah, I had the same issue but with a little tweaking on your technique, you’ll be back to climbing like normal in no time.

Sure makes the downhills much more enjoyable. 😃

"bjjoondo" wrote

After getting in a good ride, I still feel like I’m straining, I noticed that my arms have NO BEND at the elbows so I too am thinking of getting a shorter stem.
      Oh, I knew mine was way too long when I caught myself riding with just my finger tips on the grips.

Also thought about seeing if they could add a 1/2" spacer for just a tad more height and cut 2 inches off the end of the bars somehow. I’ve got to mesaure the stem and see what size it is, how short can you go and still be ok handling wise??

I think you can go as short as you want to. Once your elbows start digging into your sides when turning you know you’ve gone too far. Raising the stack height may be an issue because the steer tube probably doesn’t have an extra half inch up top.

You’re not the only one with a weird body geometry. I went with a 19 because the 17 felt way too cramped and drowned in a 21. It’s strange, because the legs felt good on the 21 and the arms felt good on the 17. So I split the diff. It’s like that with any bike I try.

Thanks for the comments goose. It was great riding with you guys as always! Today was the first time I didn’t feel like I was riding the bike but, riding with it. It was a much more enjoyable experience. I’ll be hitting that table top soon!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.