mt bike education

Forums Mountain Bike Forum mt bike education

--
SHARES

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

I have been mt biking since ’92 (yes dozzerboy longer than you have been…..) and am always wondering the best way to educate new and "they should know better" mt bikers on trail ethics, why trails are closed etc.

brianW, I agree but it is a uphill battle. Most of the folks on the singletrack don’t have a clue what "on your left" means nor do they care. It seems to me that many folks consider themselves the most important and focus only there. It is true across society in all areas. How do you know who they are? The non self focused riders see you on the trail fixing a flat and ask, you need anything or you ok? There are a bunch of "good, old time" riders out there but training the new ones will not happen. How many times have you seen a rider shopped cussing the bike when there is a problem or cussing the dealer for charging them to fix or adjust the bike that they mail ordered. What goes around always comes around. Pedal on and be happy you can adjust your rear derailer when needed. 😄 Later,

If you are in a position to fine someone for there inappropriate bike skills, that will make the most impact. I would like to see more "trail heads" host clinics about how to ride and NOT ride. Posted rules are only 50% helpful.

I agree it’s the way the younger gin wants to live. They are out for what they can get, not work for. It’s not all of them but a lot. And most were raised better than that. We have a couple of young Helpers and I say young but being late 20s to early 30s always complaining about there pay or having to do something they don’t want to. So of course it’s going to carry over to everything else they do.

"Gike" wrote

If you are in a position to fine someone for there inappropriate bike skills, that will make the most impact. I would like to see more "trail heads" host clinics about how to ride and NOT ride. Posted rules are only 50% helpful.

Does fining really work? I live close to a trail system (FATS in SC) and the Forest Service says they will fine but I have not heard of anyone really getting one. Saddly riders still ride there when it is closed.

Big stick and some impact training? Just asking, 😄 Later,

"brianW" wrote

Does fining really work? I live close to a trail system (FATS in SC) and the Forest Service says they will fine but I have not heard of anyone really getting one. Saddly riders still ride there when it is closed.

Park rangers write tickets on the trails here all the time.

"fat_billy" wrote

Big stick and some impact training? Just asking, 😄 Later,

are you suggestion one placed in the front tire?

Hey brianW! (Just because you’ve been riding longer….. 😆 )

Don’t even get me started….. But you did.

I am 15, 16 tomorrow! And I would love to find kids (girls) my age to ride with but they are all wimps who coward from pain and discomfort and are used to being spoiled by mommy and daddy…. There is only two ways to really teach kids nowadays:
      1. Reward: I know! Who is going to give spoiled kids anything for doing what is expected….

2. Severe Punishment: If you punish them severe enough they will learn. The worse the punishment, the better. But then they might quit…

Maybe, if you catch the kids young enough, you can teach them at an earlier age.

Wouldn’t that be a sweet job…? Policing the mountain bike trails at you local runs? Riding around all day or maybe teaching a class at the trailhead or some other public forum type meeting. Another way to be paid to mountain bike without being a full blown Park Ranger, although I also think that would be a cool job as well.

I alos do a fair bit of road riding weekday evenings in the summer time and I know calling out cars and such is different from being on a trail but I think it helped me a great deal with my trail manners, oh and there is that common sense thing as well… 😆

Well there is the National Mountain Bike Patrol. No pay but you can give back to the riding community. I try to pass info along when ever I get a chance, However there are those _________(fill in blank) that will not just ride when trails are closed but will go around the "trail closed" signs.

@ dozzerboy, at least on this forum you present yourself as a mature responsible young man. If you didn’t mention your age a bit back I would of thought you "older". happy birthday.

brianW, Not the front wheel, It’s not the bikes fault, across the bridge of the nose is effective. Full coverage helmet? Across the rib cage also works. 😄 Later,

@brianW Thanks dude. Get my license Saturday! Then I will be able to hit the trails more often! (when they are open of course) 😼

Hey Brian, you a IMBP member?

"fat_billy" wrote

brianW, Not the front wheel, It’s not the bikes fault, across the bridge of the nose is effective. Full coverage helmet? Across the rib cage also works. 😄 Later,

across the nose than grab a "new" bike for yourself? like that………

took the NMBP course a year ago. Tend to patrol FATS and Bartram Trail (near Augusta, GA) once or twice a month.

Warning!!!!! stay off the sidewalks, someone is getting his licence 😮

Haven’t heard that one before 😏 … Haha!

Are signs mentioning trail etiquette the best way to tell new riders proper trail ethics?

Viewing 15 reply threads