MR2 spyder bike rack

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I was using a Bones 2 trunk rack, but it really didn’t work well on my car so I found a way to adapt a hitch mount rack. There is no hitch available for the mr2 so i used the tow hook mounts. I will use a strap from the top tube of the bike and hook it to my engine hood to ensure wind does not cause too much of a bending moment on the mounting rods or bumper.

Rack used:
      -swagman xc 2 bike rack

Mounting rods
      -4130 rod 12" long
      -M22x2.0 tread(screws into bumper) 1" long
      -3/4" course thread, 4" long (rack bolt onto this part)
      -3/4" nuts, washers, lock washers- 4 each

Bike rack was ~$120 of amazon.com
      Mounting rods $75 to have made at a machine shop.
      I was originally looking to use treaded rod, but found that M22x2.0 does not exists and must be custom made.

Dedication there!

Necessity being the mother of invention!!!

Nice improv man

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Great job bro, but I have one question for you…..

How is that rack going to hold up to twisting/shifting to the left or right? It looks like from your pics that there is one bolt clamped to the rack. Traditional carriers use a tapered or squared receiver inserts (not sure to the exact name of those inserts).

My photography skills are lacking. There is actually two mounting rods(one near each bike wheel). If you look carefully at the third pic you can see both of them. The fourth pic is just a close up of one mounting rod.

yes i will be at the hash saturday night. btw, any ideas on how to get xmas lights on a bike?

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="fat_boy":wzkz0yv1]My photography skills are lacking. There is actually two mounting rods(one near each bike wheel). If you look carefully at the third pic you can see both of them. The fourth pic is just a close up of one mounting rod.

yes i will be at the hash saturday night. btw, any ideas on how to get xmas lights on a bike?

Damn bro, its not your photography skills, I just cannot see. I now see the two bolts where I thought you said you were going to mount them a while back. Do you think they are going to be strong enough, especially compared to the actual square insert that hold those carriers to the receiver hitch? Just curious.

As per the lights, just hang them to your bike, and then plug them up to Dirtweed to juice them up for a while. I was going to hang my chili pepper lights on my rig, but i am not sure the weather is going to hold out bro. They are calling for 60% showers that evening. That would be a bummer. You do know that they are going to be bar hopping as well? Anyways, nice set-up bro! Been doing any riding?[/quote:wzkz0yv1]

The rack is more solid than it looks and was made to hold 2 bikes, but I will use a nylon webbing strap from the top tube of the bike and hook it to my engine hood to ensure wind does not cause too much of a bending moment on the mounting rods, bumper or the rack itself. This way the mounting rods will mostly be supporting just the weight of the bike and rack which they will do easily.

I don’t think i am going to bother with lights bc I spent most of my play money getting the new rack together. Oh yes, i know about the bar hopping and am looking forward to it. I don’t mind rain as long as its not cold. Rain+cold=suck. This week is my final exam week so I have only been riding urban around my house 2-3 times a week. The cool thing is since the semester is over I have plenty of free time to bike until next semester starts up again in January.

That is pretty nice! I Like the car,I like the rack,and I like that bike as well…got to ride one a few weeks ago and if I had the money I would’ve brought it home.

4130 chromoly steel is really strong,I’d wonder about the rack tubing before the 3/4 rod and since it was made for that I’d think you would be good.Since that steel is not stainless,I would paint it before they saw much moisture.

Very nice idea,I love to see original thinking.

Looking at that again,you have a gap between the zinc plated mounting molts that sandwich the bike rack,and the steel one the machine shop put on the rod for tightening.It also looks like you have no more room to move it back without the end of the rod hitting the tire cradle to close the gap in the threads.

If you could add one more nut ,to keep stress off the threads and close that gap,I bet it would minimally help with strength being that the threads are the thinnest weakest part.

Just a thought 😃

"GALAXY" wrote

4130 chromoly steel is really strong,I’d wonder about the rack tubing before the 3/4 rod…

Right. The mounting rods are really strong. The only movement in anything is from the rack twisting a little when i push the bike towards the front or rear of the car.

I drove 30 miles today with my bike on the rack and everything performed flawlessly. This rack is so much better than my trunk mount rack. It’s completely solid and i am very happy with the way it turned out.

Awesome work,glad to hear it performed as expected and you’re happy with it.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.