Mountain Unicycling…

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Mountain Unicycling…

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

When I moved to Colorado one 1/2 years ago, I was bit by the mountain biking bug (still am). Recently a fellow I met turned me on to mountain unicycling. Why post this here?

1. While mountain biking is my 1st love, unicycling offers a supreme workout that is available year round: trails, fireroads, town…
      2. Unicycling is difficult: balance is the key, and definitely works the core as well as the legs. I find that the amount of time spent learning balance on a unicycle directly co relates to the balance needed for technical mountain biking.
      3. Offers an alternative to enjoying what we all enjoy on the mountain bike.

Anyone else out there tried this sort of thing before?

Can’t say I’ve tried it, as it’s really rare up where I live. But to add on to what CP said, UniGeezer or "not2tired" makes tons of movies, and by far the best MUni rider I’ve seen (and all around better rider than myself)

Some movies he’s made :

5 foot drop and 8-stair jump

Kenter Whoops!

High Energy CABLE CAM!

Chumash trail: Extreme DH

If you like the movies, I’d recommend checking out some more here on the ST forum.

I have not tryed the unicycle. Not sure if I will for the same reason I have not traded my downhill skiis for a snowboard. My comfort level is good on 2 wheels (or 2 skiis) and I’m too much as woose to go back throught that learning curve thing again.

That being said, I really enjoy watching UniGeezer making all that look easy. He rocks on 1 wheel much better than I do on 2 wheels. Technical rock gardens, jumps, whatever- he rips them up, like the saying goes looking "busier than a one legged man in an arse kicking contest". I would like to think his videos have promoted his sport to a whole new group, but I don’t know how many have actually taken it up.

The UNI has whooped my but time and time again… Just can’t seem to get it right

There is a guy in North Vancouver Canada who is well known for his rediculous uni riding ability on very tech downhill trails. We meet him once a year or two ago. After talking to him for not long at all, you quickly realize that, well, he’s different up stairs. Not in a shake your head kinda way, more like a "what?!" kinda way. I’m not at all knocking the guy, it’s just a strong reminder that everyone see’s terain differently. And I can say this openly because I said it to his face first.

I guess that’s the beauty of riding, there are no rules. Execpt for respect others ofcourse.

I’ve seen some of unigeezer’s films. He is exceptional. I’ve done two singletracks here in Colorado. Going uphill is difficult; not so much physically, but technically. There are two ways: just straight up, or ‘pecking’. I have trouble standing still, and going straight up requires quite a bit of forward balance. I’ll get there.

Hi all!

I only [i:g8y1putl]just[/i:g8y1putl] found this thread. Looks like the links posted above don’t work anymore, so I thought I would post a few of my latest ones. Thanks so much for the kind comments! Cheers! 😃

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQ5V0ARvFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNUPefIVxv4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViydC3ZgqTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlB_4OLzqVw

I ran into this guy at Blankets Creek and he and his little girl out riding. She was on her new downsized MTB. The Dad was on a unicycle. He was riding everywhere a MTB rides. Never thought a unicycle could "back" up a steep hill and turn in the middle and ride "normal" up the rest of the climb. The guy said he was riding his "heavy" training cycle. Incredable! 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

I ran into this guy at Blankets Creek and he and his little girl out riding. She was on her new downsized MTB. The Dad was on a unicycle. He was riding everywhere a MTB rides. Never thought a unicycle could "back" up a steep hill and turn in the middle and ride "normal" up the rest of the climb. The guy said he was riding his "heavy" training cycle. Incredable! 😄 Later,

Another mountain unicyclist sighting! Cool. 😃

Our nine year old just started unicycling and is already trying to take it off-road. He’s been mountain biking since he was four and now he’s determined to ride the unicycle on the dirt as well. He’s already working it off curbs and over roots in the backyard and has made several attempts at the teeter totter. I can’t wait to show him uni_geezer’s vids. Thanks for posting!

"tjuillerat" wrote

Our nine year old just started unicycling and is already trying to take it off-road. He’s been mountain biking since he was four and now he’s determined to ride the unicycle on the dirt as well. He’s already working it off curbs and over roots in the backyard and has made several attempts at the teeter totter. I can’t wait to show him uni_geezer’s vids. Thanks for posting!

That’s great that he’s starting so young! I too, started about that age (11) in the last century, haha! 1967. I learned fast and soon I was riding off curbs, spinning 360’s, one-foot pedaling, backwards and then after about a year I went on to other things. It wasn’t until almost 40 years later that i started again, in 2006, at age 50! Since then I love it more than ever! Here’s footage from 1967! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3h6mqcGwG8

Viewing 10 reply threads