Mountain biking goals for 2013

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author

Revans1961 started a thread reflecting on achievements over the past year. So the next question is, what mountain biking goals do you have for 2013?

Let’s hear them! I’ve got a couple of my own that I’ll share in a bit, but I’d like to hear some of your goals. I could use some more ideas….

Biggest goal this year is not to crash. Two crashes this year, kept me off the bike way to much
      Other than this, is have a lot of fun while riding, cos that’s what it’s all about

"ollysj" wrote

Other than this, is have a lot of fun while riding, cos that’s what it’s all about

+1

My number 1 goal, is to get my kids on the dirt trail and be excited about it 😃

Hit up Coldwater I Anniston, Al again. It was a blast. Also want to hit up Windy Gap.

My biggest life goal (related to mountain biking): I’m going to weigh 200 lbs or less in 2013. I’m at 235 now after losing 82 lbs already.

My mtb goals:
      1. Ride as much DH as possible and maybe enter a race or 2. Which also accomplishes another goal of mine which is to travel more.
      2. Step up my endurance. 10+ mile xc rides for me are a rarity, I want it to be a regular occurrence.
      3. Perform more trail work. I recently discovered that I <3 chainsaws 😎
      4. Ride Whistler and/or Mt. St. Helens.
      5. Push myself…hard. Going to utilize Strava to keep track of my rides and to see some results.
      6. Try not to get hurt. My shoulder still hurts from separating it in October 😢

Continue with trail-work. Ride as much as possible. That’s it.

"jtorlando25" wrote

My biggest life goal (related to mountain biking): I’m going to weigh 200 lbs or less in 2013. I’m at 235 now after losing 82 lbs already.

My mtb goals:
      1. Ride as much DH as possible and maybe enter a race or 2. Which also accomplishes another goal of mine which is to travel more.
      2. Step up my endurance. 10+ mile xc rides for me are a rarity, I want it to be a regular occurrence.
      5. Push myself…hard. Going to utilize Strava to keep track of my rides and to see some results.

Awesome list!

Not letting 46 slow me down. I feel this is the year to push myself and my abilities…can’t wait!

Not letting 46 slow me down. I feel this is the year to push myself and my abilities…can’t wait!

46 rocked this year for me and 47 is going to be even better! I’m going to keep riding hard and having fun in 2013! Happy New Year to all of you out there, and have a blast reaching those goals! 😃

"bruces" wrote

I hit 46 in a week, it won’t slow us down bro

@jtorlando25

cut down my weight is a huge goal for me too – thanks for the reminder 😈

😄

1) Not suck!
      2) Take a 5-10ft drop, without having to change my pants.
      3) Ride my list for 2013.
      4) Ride out of my region (Front Range, Co.)
      5) Learn to fix my bike no matter what happens.

MTI

I am pure XC rider loving long endurance rides. However I am an 18K wuss when it comes to rather technical riding. My goal is to de-wuss myself in tech riding…without breaking bones.

"MTI" wrote

I am pure XC rider loving long endurance rides. However I am an 18K wuss when it comes to rather technical riding. My goal is to de-wuss myself in tech riding…without breaking bones.

Let me know if you figure out a way to ride tech without breaking bones. I bought my bike in June and have been to the hospital 3 times with broken bones and several close calls and a couple of stitches too.

MTI

I have had lots of falls at fast speeds and even crashed into a tree at a fast speed nothing broke yet. Probably because most crashes were on forgiving terrain. That terrain will change so I will let you know if i remain in one piece on tech trails. 😄

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="jtorlando25":25lyidfr]My biggest life goal (related to mountain biking): I’m going to weigh 200 lbs or less in 2013. I’m at 235 now after losing 82 lbs already.

My mtb goals:

I have a smiliar list drop 45 pounds to 200 my high school weight and enter another mountain bike race maybe 2

Awesome list![/quote:25lyidfr]

Figure out a way to bike ride overseas – it’s driving me nuts being off the bike!

1. Riding trails out of my area.( Moab, Sedona, Got a road trip this September to Little Rock from California want to take a couple of weeks at it and ride trails along the way.
      2, 300 k of climbing
      3. 5 Enduro races.
      4. No broken bones.

"arkinet" wrote

My number 1 goal, is to get my kids on the dirt trail and be excited about it 😃

Very noble thing to do. My wife had her first ride last July and now the whole family goes out on rides. Nothing like getting the next generation involved. It is just amazing the positive feedback I have received from many local riders especially the ladies since I do have four daughters.

If any of your kids are to small to keep up, try a Trail-A-Bike. My five year old just loves it. To the point that we had to tell her, "Yes riding the big dips is fun but no you cannot fist pump while riding them"

My goal this year is to ride more. Hopefully get a cross bike to commute, gravel/pavement ride on. Have also dabbled a bit in tril running again so maybe a dualathlon or dirty tri.

To make a cycling trip in Romania.

[url:3azao17s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n10Mnoe3p10[/url:3azao17s]

What do you think about this ideea ? Looks very nice!

OK, so my goals for the year (so far):

1. Race a dirty century (The Cohutta 100 in April)
      2. Road trip again. I’m planning on going on the road for ~5 weeks, probably to the PNW (Mainly Oregon)
      3. Move to Colorado
      4. 3,000+ miles of biking… this number next year will include road miles, but will still probably be well over 50% MTB miles

Bring it on!!!

"mtbgreg1" wrote

2. Road trip again. I’m planning on going on the road for ~5 weeks, probably to the PNW (Mainly Oregon)
      3. Move to Colorado
      4. 3,000+ miles of biking… this number next year will include road miles, but will still probably be well over 50% MTB miles

I would swap 2 and 3 to save gas. 😉

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":1j7drwcd]
      3. Move to Colorado

I would swap 2 and 3 to save gas. 😉[/quote:1j7drwcd]

Well I’m getting to borrow this really cool camper to take on the road: http://www.sylvansport.com/ and I won an awesome gear package with it (to keep), but I have to pick up and return the camper to Brevard, NC. However, I’m thinking that right before I come back to the Southeast I might do some apartment/house hunting while I’m out west so that when I get back we can basically pack up and move. Lots of details to work out though….

Goals:

Bikepack the Colorado Trail

Summit 2 above treeline peaks in the same day!

In no particular order of importance:

1 – not suck at the Snake. Had mechanicals and poor legs last year, hoping to do MUCH better this year. We’ll find out how that goes this weekend 😆 I know I’m much better prepared…last December I only rode 25 miles all month, this December I did 440 😼
      2 – ride a total of 4,000 miles, much of that will be on the road. WAY more than I did this year, but I can get more than half that just by riding to work twice a week. No point in goals that are too easy, right?
      3 – do a dirty century. Did an 80 miler not too long ago and felt surprisingly good the whole way, so I know I can knock out a century, just gotta make the time and do it.
      4 – do more 6hr races – only did 1 last year, hope to do 3 or 4 this year.
      5 – commute to work on the bike an average of at least twice a week.

1: At least triple the miles I accomplished in half of 2012. Looks to be 600ish, which shouldn’t be hard, but working it in with other duties (job, personal business, running, etc.) will be the tricky part.

2: Ride more trails in neighboring states. There are a number of Epics and Top 100s near me that I’d like to try. Maybe even make weekend trips of it if my schedule permits.

3: Pick up a cheap road bike? I’m considering this as a means to exercise when it is consistently wet. I may resort to running, but we’ll see what I end up going with.

4: MoCo Epic, and probably the 25 mile version to start. I’d like to ride each and every length option as the years go on, culminating in their 65 mile route.

5: Ride longer distances in one sitting. I’ve done 25 miles in a day, and my body/legs were DEAD by the end of it. I was granny gearing up every hill. I want to increase my stamina and put more miles under the tires without feeling like I’m about to roll backwards down the hill because my legs will give out.

6: Put up a personal record on every trail segment I’ve ridden in 2012. I probably won’t ever get KOM on Strava, but if I can better the times I had last year, I’ll be happy.

1. Get better w/ technical stuff and get a handle on wheelies and manuals.
      2. ride 50 trails and map 30 for singletracks.
      3. hate to make a negative goal but no bruised rib cages or cranked knees ect.

Get through my second year of mountain biking without getting injured to bad would be the first thing that comes to mind. After that the list is….

1.) I will not try to clear the trees on the inside of the turns as if they were a gate on the ski slopes. I clear the hand but not the bars. 2012 (5) 2013 (0)

2.) I will not try to roll out into a corner while still on a 4" skinny. I will look closer to the bike. 2012 (2) 2013 (0)

3.) I will not slide full length through the poison ivy this year

4.) I want to be able to do a decent manual over a double without number 3

5.) I want to be able to do a decent manual off a 2′ ledge

6.) I want to avoid going viral on YouTube

7.) I will not utter the words "Hey guys hold my beer while I do this". Not 3 again

8.) I want to ride in Moab UT or Fruita as well as ski late this winter.

9.) I want to avoid serious damage to my newly aquired FS Carbon bike

10.) I want a dropper post and decent flat pedals in addition to my egg beaters

11.) I would like to find a solution to the sneezing and sinus pain after a tough ride.

12.) I would like to see my 58th birthday this fall in one piece

MTI

I am going to add to my list 2000 miles plus of riding. At least two Enduro Races. Elevation will be significant since I live in the Nantahala Forest in WNC. That will be interesting. I am psyched to keep track of everything with my new Edge 800.

Goals: 2013

1. Earn a buckle at the Snake! (3 races of 34 miles)
      2. Race the Big Frog 65.
      3. Conitinue motivating my wife and kids to ride. Wife was getting the MTB fever in the fall and oldest son just got a new Trek for Xmas. (with upgrades)
      4. Buy/build a SS.
      5. Ride new trails.
      6. Start planing my trip out west for 2014.
      7. Do some 6 & 12 hour races in Tsali.

Just to name a few!

I am coming up on 1 year of riding this February…

For 2013 I would like to join and finish a race.

Another goal I forgot to mention was to get back to Ray’s Indoor park in Cleveland.

…leaving work in 2 hours to make the 7 hour drive. Check that one off. 😄

MTI

OK guys and gals time to kick it into gear to make your goals. I wanted 2,000 miles for the year and my Strava is now at 1,800. I should put in another 100 this month and I know I rode easily over 200 miles without (due to forgetting to bring it on rides). I would forget my left arm if it was not attached to my body. Heck I forgot my bike for a ride once! I am about to go over 200,000 feet of elevation gain a bit suprised I did that much. I did not do the races I wanted to due to weather and other things that came up in the game of life.

Is everyone else meeting there goals? One month to go! 😃

Awesome idea to revive this thread, Matt!

So looking back, I said that my goals were:

3. Move to Colorado

Bring it on!!!

How I did:

1. I DNFed the Cohutta, but I did do a 100 mile MTB ride on my own a couple of weeks later… so I’m counting it ;)
      2. Done! And it was great!
      3. Also done! Loving it here in Colorado!
      4. So this one I blew out of the water. There’s still one month to go, and according to Strava I have already logged 3,486 miles this year. There were quite a few road miles in there early on, but like I said back in January, well over 50% of that total is mountain bike miles. I wish there was a way to differentiate MTB VS road miles…

How’d everybody else do?

"dgaddis" wrote

In no particular order of importance:

1 – not suck at the Snake. Had mechanicals and poor legs last year, hoping to do MUCH better this year. We’ll find out how that goes this weekend 😆 I know I’m much better prepared…last December I only rode 25 miles all month, this December I did 440 😼
      2 – ride a total of 4,000 miles, much of that will be on the road. WAY more than I did this year, but I can get more than half that just by riding to work twice a week. No point in goals that are too easy, right?
      3 – do a dirty century. Did an 80 miler not too long ago and felt surprisingly good the whole way, so I know I can knock out a century, just gotta make the time and do it.
      4 – do more 6hr races – only did 1 last year, hope to do 3 or 4 this year.
      5 – commute to work on the bike an average of at least twice a week.

Man. Acording to my goals I sucked it up this year, but I’m feeling good. One bit a time.

1 – NAILED IT. Took a ton of time off my previous best at the January, race, then got slower every month…
      2 – Nowhere close. A few things played into that: wettest summer in recorded history (that’s not an exaggeration), and needing my car for work put a damper on commuting. I’m at 2,080 right now according to Strava, might hit 2500 for the year. We’ll see.
      3 – Nope.
      4 – Nope. Didn’t even do one this year. See #2.
      5 – Nope. See #2.

I had a mediocre year during the middle of the year. But I’m hoping to finish strong. Logged a bunch of miles last month, hope to get even more in December, and hope to do even better at the Snake next year than I did this year. I’ve lost 15lbs, which is cool. I also started my own business which has been more successful than anticipated and kept me pretty busy at times, and I’ve missed many Weds night rides ’cause I was building wheels. But I’m thankful for that!!

All in all, it’s been a decent year on the bike, but not spectacular. But no major injuries, I think I’m fitter now than I have ever been, and I’m looking forward to finishing out the year with lots of saddle time and hitting it hard in 2014!!

"jtorlando25" wrote

My mtb goals:

My ultimate goal is SO close to being accomplished. I now weigh 30 lbs less than I did when I wrote that and have less than a handful of lbs to go to hit 200. Hellz yeah!

1. I rode DH nearly every weekend but never entered a race because I was having too much fun doing it for fun.
      2. Check. Moving to a location that allowed me to ride to the trail head helped a lot with this one…now every ride is at least 10 miles.
      3. Check. I helped out on several trail days, and built some freeride stuff with my little bro.
      4. Fail…next year. This one was too ambitious for the unexpected major change in my job and relocating my home.
      5. Check. I pushed so hard I started running for fun!
      7. CHECK! No major crashes this year! Definitely acquired some random scars, but nothing that put me in the ER.

MTI

JT my friend you deserve a gold medal for your accomplishments this year you should be proud of yourself! Great job man. I enjoyed following your posts.

"MTI" wrote

JT my friend you deserve a gold medal for your accomplishments this year you should be proud of yourself! Great job man. I enjoyed following your posts.

+1 to that!

😃 Thanks guys! It was great looking back on this and seeing that I actually stayed on track.

1. More climbing. ( it hurts less when I fall)
      2. Keeping my wheels pointing down. ( back to reason number one)
      3. Ride Sedona.
      4. More fun not miles.
      5. Stay off trails that have names like. Car wreck, dreaded, mentally sensitive.

I spent more time injured this year than riding. The shoulder will never be the same and I’m just to old and don’t have enough time left in life to sit on the side lines and watch everyone else having fun….

Viewing 39 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.