Motor Doping in Professional Cycling

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Motor Doping in Professional Cycling

--
SHARES

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Alvin Mullen 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

CBS sent us a press release this morning to promote an upcoming episode of 60 Minutes in which they’ll discuss motor doping in professional cycling. This is something that has been simmering on the back burner for a number of years, but there have been very few confirmed cases. It’s also mostly discussed in terms of road cycling, but there’s no reason you couldn’t slap one of these motors on a mountain bike either.

Here’s a preview from the story which will air this Sunday (1/29/2017) at 7 PM EST: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-preview-enhancing-the-bike/

What do y’all think? Is motor doping a concern in pro cycling or is it overblown?

A few years ago when officials said they were looking into it, I thought it sounded ridiculous and couldn’t imagine it being effective or even that hard to spot. Apparently I was wrong. 🙂

I still don’t understand why it’s so hard to catch people doing this. The batteries and motors can’t be very small…

I’m cool with it. There’s not a huge difference between that and $10k bicycles. Your advantage rises in direct correlation with your checkbook and if you can afford to fit a motor, go for it.

Signed,
    Lance Armstrong

They are very small, fit in the BB on almost any bike.. here are some bikes that keep going.